Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks. I had shown my new LX178 in the Who's Been Deere Hunting thread. I had high hopes of it firing right up once I installed a battery. My hopes were dashed. No lights, bells, buzzers or clicks. Does anyone have a link for a wiring diagram for the beast? I could not even find an Operators Manual on the Deere site.

One of the rear tire also does not hold air. It is leaking across one row of tread blocks so that does not look promising.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It does not have a seat switch. The battery is charged. There is a 2-wire cable hanging loose on the right side, I do not know where it goes/came from but it looks really worn and it is tied in a little loop so I'm guessing it was unhooked on purpose? Oh if they could only talk!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like a blown fuse, dirty connection or a broken wire. Look at fusible link f1.
Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering
l

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the schematic TiredDeere! There are 2 15-amp fuses readily accessible. I pulled both and they are good so I reinstalled, wiggled wires, found another loose wire laying down inside the pedestal, I was hooked to nothing on either end. There's also a chassis ground from the pedestal that is not plugged into anything. I tried the key again and magically I now had lights. Hopped on the seat pushed the brake pedal down and she spins! It would not fire so I removed the air cleaner and discovered a mouse nest in there so I got that all cleaned up, shot some carb cleaner in and she fired. Yippee! Except it was now shooting antifreeze out of the muffler. That was less than encouraging to see :rolleyes: The guy said it was parked a couple years ago because the E-brake was broken and stuck on? I let it run a bit, shut it off and restarted. It is smoking white right now so the jury is out deliberating on the future of the defendant. The PTO switch feels like it does not work, it is a flimsy white plastic piece of you know what.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The loose 2-wire cable that was unhooked is for the headlights which are no longer in the hood. I started it back up and it is not smoking anymore. I have Seafoam in the gas tank for the Italian tune-up. It goes forward and backwards. I did figure out that flimsy little PTO switch and it immediately killed the engine. The deck is stuck so I will need to massage it a bit, but it looks good. There are drips from the transaxle and I don't see a way to refill or check it. It looks like the pan needs to come off to get at it? Interestingly enough, I was looking at how to remove the pan and I see that the front studs have no nuts on them, how convenient! Does the deck height adjust knob just pry off the shaft to remove the deck?

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is correct, my bad on that one. I recently repowered my log splitter with an engine from an LT133 so I'm getting my prefix's mixed up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Tom, you probably know this but in case others reading this do not, don’t run the engine if you suspect there is antifreeze leaking into the cylinders. Antifreeze will wash the oil film off the cylinder walls and that will greatly accelerate piston ring and cylinder bore wear.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not know that, thanks for the advice Mike. A bad head gasket would be the most likely culprit correct?

As for the hood issue, I have already thought about a hood off another one of my JD tractors.

The 'edit' button is those three little dots in the upper right corner of your post.

Reactions: ed_lincoln

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Tom, you are right, typically if a head gasket fails, you will get antifreeze in the cylinder or oil in your antifreeze and possibly you will see bubbles in the coolant. Oil can become milky in appearance. Look at the underside of your oil fill cap and see if there is a white material on it.
I did a Google search and found a lot of symptoms and ways to check before you pull off a head. Don’t pull the head until you’ve done some diagnostic checking.
I didn’t see anything listed about antifreeze washing the oil film off the cylinder wall but I remember that from my engine days working for a large manufacturer.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mike, I was thinking along the same lines as you as far as symptoms of a bad head gasket. The oil does not look cloudy nor did I see any bubbling under the radiator cap. I restarted it numerous times yesterday and did not see anymore smoke after the initial fire-up. I just went out and started it after it sat overnight and no smoke. So I am wondering what may have happened during it's years of storage that may have led to that? It is safe to say I am an optimist. After I run it a bit more I will pull the plugs and see what they look like and check compression at the same time. It needs a new rear tire that has a bad leak (I will replace both, they are $60 each at my farm store) and a new air filter. I am reluctant to throw money at it until I am sure the basic things are working OK. I have to pull the deck and get it spinning. I'll sharpen the blades after I know it functions. The deck looks good from the outside.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds good Tom. Hopefully there are no major issues with the engine. Someone with more experience with this model will likely add their experience to this post - for example, does this engine have an automatic compression release and do you need to do anything special to check compression. In the meantime, keep watching the coolant level and oil level as you run the machine.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have started and run it a few times today and I do not see any nasty behavior. I drove it up and down my road maybe 500 feet and the trans sounded funny at first but that noise went away. I pulled the deck because it was locked up. It was a PITA to get off, I think it had not been removed for some time. The cover over the one spindle had bolts partially installed. The guy I bought it from said it was serviced every year by the local JD dealer. Based on what I have seen so far I am a bit leery of that being true. Both spindles were froze, but released after a big crescent wrench was applied. They feel good right now and they have grease nipples underneath so I will see if they take grease. The other 2 pulleys topside spin smoothly. Both belts were bonded to the pulleys. The guy said it sat only 2 or 3 years. Who knows. We buy these not know what we are in for.

Wheel Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Yellow

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Unfortunately greasing the spindles won’t help the bearings. The bearings are sealed. The grease is to fill the void between the bearings and keep water out. Changing the spindle bearings is cheap and easy though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts