Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My name is Phil. I have read this forum in the past and finally decided to register. I currently have a 1972 JD112 electric lift. Just picked up a brass tag deck that I was told came off of a 212. It has the 4 leg deere decal if that helps ID it. I BELIEVE it is a 47" deck but not 100% sure. Anyways, after welding up some cracks, a couple new belts, and a little persuasion and draft plate adjustmenting, I got it under and hooked up to my machine. I just ordered the 2 slotted arms that come off of the rockshaft to raise and lower it since I have no clue where the pair I had went (recently moved). Either way, I fired it up and holy crap this thing is a beast! Now I never owned a mower deck for this machine since I got this tractor 3 years ago from an elderly neighbor but it does have a snowblower and plow blade. Anyways, with all of that said, I did a trial run mowing the field with the deck all the way down since I can't raise it just yet and it did good, bogged down a little here and there I'm assuming from the deck being so low and the grass being a foot tall and thick,but overall it did a good job. Here is my issue, theres no chute or anything on the deck and it is just spewing clumps of clippings out all over the place. Do they make mulch kits or baggers for this deck, or does anyone know what to use to retrofit something like that? All of my neighbors lawns and fields look like golf courses and mine looks like i cut it with a weed whacker. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in love with the machine and deck. This setup is WAY better than using my model 56 RER with the 30" deck and retrofitted honda 5.5hp from a pressure washer that doesnt idle up when the blades are engaged. So this is a major upgrade. Im just looking for it to cut a little less messy. Maybe just the chute will make a difference, are they the same on most earlier decks? Can you get mulching kits for it? Bagger? Any feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Brass tags stopped in 1968 so the deck was not original to a 200 tractor. Could have fit yours if it was from a 110 or 112 from 1968. If you can add a picture(s) I could probably tell you more. Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I uploaded some pics. Don't judge me please, the machine and my garage are filthy at the moment and I still have more work to do on the deck but it can wait to be a winter project as long as I can use it for the rest of the season. My machine is a 1972 and it fits. Thats all I know

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Looks like a 39 deck to me, unless I am missing something. Get those lift straps and your done. I have the same deck on a 112, and the grass does go everywhere. The only thing that I would suggest is to cut your grass more frequently and you shouldn't have clumping problems. I myself am not sure if mulching or bagging are available for that deck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I understand you correctly, your expecting this mower to produce a groomed lawn after mowing deep grass? I doubt if there is such a machine that would do that. Perhaps a power flow bagger attachment on a deep deck mower. You deck is a shallow pan version which are not really designed for deeper grass. And I'm talking perhaps 5"'s. You'll have to pick up all of those clumps and mow again to have any hope of a groomed look. As far as baggers a trailer mounted engine vacuum would be your best bet. I doubt if you'll find a system that you engine could handle. And mulcher's are more about blades and doors closing off the exit chute. And you won't have much luck cutting 12" grass. Get out the rake! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
Welcome to the WFM.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yep, that's a 39 deck...get all the pieces together, lift straps, etc., get it leveled and see how you like the cut. I've got one for my 212, but I use mine as a brush cutter deck. I went with a 2-blade, 38-inch deck and use it with a Cyclone Rake on the 212...very nice cut, and it fits my yard gates, too. If I had more to mow and cared enough to widen my gates, I'd have one of the wider decks. Shouldn't be hard to find a wider deck for your tractor, depending on your location. Watch the classifieds section on this site, CL and others...patience is the key if you decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not trying to second guess anyone but are you sure its a 39 deck? It measures 48" across if you flip it over and measure the inside. And no i don't expect it to look like a country club but I mow weekly with the exception of missing a week due to my 56 going down. I'd just like to be able to reduce or pickup the clippings better. Maybe ill just buy a lawn sweeper and call it a day. Did the 39" have 3 blades also?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Yes it does

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I believe cutting width/deck width is determined by measuring underneath from blade tip to blade tip, with the blades parallel...but could be wrong. A 39 deck would obviously measure 39 inches, so maybe you have something else...looks like a 39 deck though. They are good for all purpose mowing, but the deck shell is shallower that others and doesn't draft much grass up under it when cutting like deeper decks. Guess you could put mulching blades on it. My grass clumps too if I let it get too long between cuttings. I just go back over the windrows until I get it spread well over the cut grass...and let nature put it back into the soil.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
A model 39 will measure 38" across the tips of the parallel blades. A model 47 is 46".
Now I always call these older gear drive tractor decks model 39 and 47. This one's model number is E0670. I don't know if one can find these decks in JDParts using the other model numbers or not. Need to try that.
Can't find that number (E0670) in the pdf attachment list (FAQ section of the forum), but an E0671 is listed as a 46" cut, s/n range 100,001-190,000. With the built in chute and the decal style, it would probably be from the early square fender models 110/112. Looks just like the one for my '68 112.
The picture seems to hide the fact that the left side of the deck should stick out well past the front and rear tires of the tractor. Or does it? So, measure it across the blade tips, or just give us the length of one of the blades. On these older 3 blade decks, 3 times the length of the blade, minus 2", equals the cutting width.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't stick out much past the rear tires but the Ag tires on the rear are pretty darn big. I wont be able to measure until tomorrow but I will get a measurement and we can go from there. Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Finally measured it and got the lift brackets installed. It measures 47" from the outermost blades. Blades are 16 1/4 long each roughly. Went to cut the lawn and fields, spent more time putting the pto belt on than I did actually mowing. I've adjusted it up front with the hand screw tensioner and it does ok but as soon as the blades even barely graze a root or something the belt flies off.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Phil you should turn the screw tighter all the way until it stops and then back about 1/2 to 1 turn for it to be correct. Roger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts