Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime lurker, but recently decided to join the club and bought myself a 1982 210. I bought it off Craigslist here in NC for about $600 - I probably paid a little too much, but to be honest it was in really good mechanical condition and just needed a little TLC to get her to look good. I put myself on a budget and it was either go out and buy an inferior Big Box tractor or take some time (more then the wife expected) and less money (always a good thing).

Here is an image of it the day I brought it home.


As you can she looks pretty good - bagger is a little worn, but we'll address that at another time. She starts right up and cuts great!

It wasn't long that I had the urge to tinker - started to notice a little smoke here and there under load so decided to rebuild the carburetor.

Before:


After (taken completely apart, cleaned inside and out, new gaskets, tips, float adjusted, etc):


She ran great for about 2 weeks and I started to get the urge to clean her up a bit and off came the panels!


Then the frame got scrubbed, primed, and painted!



Then I started to address the panels - everything sanded pretty good, but the variator panel really took a beating from the battery and corrosion. Went ahead and wire brushed it really good and washed it and then put a skim layer of bondo on it to smooth out the pitting. Then primed and painted. This was my first time at bondo and body work...turned out pretty good.



I primed and painted the other panels, but haven't taken the camera out to the garage to take some pictures will do later today. I'm just at the point where I'm waiting for the paint to cure and then I can decide to either clear coat or start to put the pieces back together!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
JD210NC,

:welcome:

Nice work! Does that deck have a powerflow on it? If so please post a pic of it. I think that deck was only able to bag with the assistance of a powerflow unit.

Hec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does have a powerflow unit and that unit is in pretty good shape - fan blades all look good and the belt that drives it all worked when I took it apart. The housing on the unit and the chute were patched from time to time. I'll get a picture of it and put it up there the next chance I get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
JD210NC,

Did you have a chance to mow with it? I'm curious if the 210 has enough power to power the powerflow. I suppose it can get it done if you are only mowing a few inches at a time.

Hec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mow one cut with it and it was the typical suburban 1ac manicured lawn cut at 3 inches or so and it handled it just fine. I wasn't trying to cut 1' weeds or anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,422 Posts
Nice work Dave,Welcome to the forums
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Looks good! Great for the first try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Looking good! $600 isn't too much for that if it starts/runs good. You got the later model 4 wheel deck with a power flow and they are not all that easy to find. As a side note, I'm looking for a power flow like yours and not having much luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some pics of the painted pan and the bondo'ed variator panel.





Not bad for a rattle can job - or so I think. I still need to hit with some 1000 or 2000 grit paper to get rid of the orange peal (depending on whether or not I decide to clear coat it yet) - it is still curing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On to the hood repair...

I had a decent size crack in the hood and I decided it would be a good time to learn how to do some fiberglass repair.

First thing was to clean out the hood where the crack was located. I washed with warm soap and water and then used my Dremel tool to get a nice clean cut in the hood for the resin to reside.

IMG_4347.jpg

Then I used my fiberglass repair kit and coated it with resin and then laid down some fiberglass cloth. Don't mind that it looks horrible, eventually you come back with your Dremel and cut off the excess and sand it down.

IMG_4351.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Completed...for now!

Well I finally got some time this holiday weekend to get the 210 done...

Added the Kirk Engine Point Saver, tightened up the steering column, greased everything that needed greased, added an inline fuel filter and fuel shutoff, adjusted the neutral safety switch so that it truly works when in neutral, flushed the transaxel fluid (she still whines like a barn door in the winter!) and did the same with the oil.

Only thing left to do is paint the badge on the grill.


IMG_4640.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4641.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg

It was great to get her running mechanically really well and then fixing up the outside. There's nothing worse then putting lipstick on a pig!!

Next project, which I'll tackle this winter is rehabbing the Model 47 Deck...

The bug has certainly bitten and I just can't stay off Craigslist looking for a 318 or 425!!!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top