Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant get my JD 140 to get any spark. New points, changed coil/condensor and checked all wiring back to key switch. The previous owner was messing with the electrical. I have got everything sorted out except the spark issue. Is there anything obvious i should check. It is a 30000+ serial number. Solid state setup.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Welcome Matt,
I'm a little confused ,because a 30,000 + serial number should be a battery / coil set up, not a solid state.
You talked about changing the coil and points, so I'm going to assume it is battery / coil.
The quickest test would be to see if you have 12 volts at the coil + side , when the key is in the on position. Points and condenser wire should be on the NEG side of coil. Points should be set at .020.
Let me know if we are on the same page here.
Roy

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for straightening me out Roy, It is a coil battery setup, I have 12 V at the positive side of the coil and the points are set correct. The condensor and points are both on the negative side of the coil. It has got me stumped. I am more of a diesel guy these small engines arent really my thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a long shot but are the points gapped 180 degrees out? Check the hole on the fly wheel pan and make sure the marks are lined up while the piston is top dead center. Then gap the points at .020...

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I switched the coil and condensor from my 110 i assumed it was the same. The funny thing is that the plug will spark when i cycle the key from on to off. Its almost like the points are out of time. The previous owner is a self proclaimed mechanical genious. So i am now wondering if he somehow got the points out of time? Thanks again

·
Registered
147 Posts
Matt, A common problem on these engines when they get old is the wire from the coil to the points gets brittle and breaks inside of the insulation. Check the continuity or try a temporary wire with the points cover off.

Also clean the points good as even new points can have a coating preventing them from working.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Matt,

When I got my 140 someone had " played" with the electrical. mine would spark sometimes too with the key turned on and off. What it was on mine someone had changed it over to points coil and rigged the wiring. I took and bought the correct ignition switch. You should have 12 volts to the coil at the start and run position on the key switch. Check that out.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Matt. When the flywheel comes around and lines up with the S mark, on the compression stroke,that is when the points just open. That is when it fires.
You have to turn it a little further to check the gap on the points. It must be .020.
The points cant get out of time. They only can have the wrong gap.
If this is set right and it still dont fire , then you have a wiring problem with the wire to the coil from the points, or a bad condenser.
It also can be the spark plug wire or the coil, but I would be looking at the points first.
Roy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.