Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from western North Carolina - Deere hunting for my first JD. There are several for sale near me - trying to balance hours, dual hydraulics, attachments and shiny green paint. Currently looking at a couple of 318's, a 322 and (I'm tempted) by a 330! I am starting to figure out the numbering scheme, but will confess to jumping to tractor data regularly. I am shocked at what people believe a paint job is worth. I am reasonably handy (would't have a problem swapping engines)but would prefer not to rebuild one these days (eyesight). Thanks in advance for your patience as I ask dumb questions.

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Howdy!

Can tell by your choice of machines you'll do just fine.

And the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
:welcome:

And Jeff is right, ask questions cause I'm sure you will get answers

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Make sure you include the 332 diesel in your search.

420 gas and 430 diesel are the big dogs but implements are harder to come by and most don't interchange with 300 series tractors.

Good luck in your search.

IIRC 330 does not have power steering.

·
Administrator
6,186 Posts
Welcome to WFM. I would ignore tractor data and use our Model Info which is located above on the yellow tab. Also, browse through the hydrostatic drive forum which is located underneath the Restoration & Repair section to learn more about the 318, 330, and 322.

Again, welcome to WFM.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
:welcome: Mike

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome. You will find many great people here that are willing to help with all of your questions.
You are looking at my favorite generation of tractors. You can find good low hour units still that need little to nothing to make good every day tractors. My personal opinion is that water cooled engines have much longer lifespans so a diesel or a 322 would be your best bet because of your lack of wanting to more than basic maintenance and repairs.
I am biased though because I am a diesel guy. I have a 332 and a 430 and love them. They both get used to cut my 3 acres weekly and perform snow duty, plowing, and clean up duties during the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts