Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, on the up side, it only took me an hour and 15 to get the 60" deck and the cursed tilt-dump MCS off the 420. I am beginning to appreciate why a more experienced member told me just to buy a second tractor and not ever remove the MCS.

Anyway, I have to take the rear tires off to get to the lower mount pins for the MCS, and in doing so I discovered some rather grimy hydro fluid or other petroleum product on the outside of the brake drum and on the inside of the left tire. There was a good coating on the brake, but only a few small puddles on the rim, so either it just started or only leaks a little.

The right tire was clean. This had to happen this cutting season, as the rims were clean when I put them on in the spring.

Now the question: just how can hydro fluid get to the brake drum and tire rim? Am I looking at a leak in the tranny or diferential?
Thanks in advance for what I'm sure is going to be bad news.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
It is not uncommon for an axle seal to develop a leak with time. A tiny bit is okay, but the rubber tires don't like the hydro oil, so if it's getting on the tire then it's soon time to repair. The seal is at the inboard side of the axle stubs, so you'll need to remove the fender pan, wheel, brake drum and brake assembly, axle and axle housing and you're there.

· Registered
365 Posts
Charms advice is correct but I've done this before by removing the axle and axle housing complete without pulling the brakes apart. The seal is seated in the differential housing so remove the housing, pull seal from housing, insert new seal and very carefully reinstall axle housing/axle.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Charms advice is correct but I've done this before by removing the axle and axle housing complete without pulling the brakes apart. The seal is seated in the differential housing so remove the housing, pull seal from housing, insert new seal and very carefully reinstall axle housing/axle.
I suppose that should work. Was this with the diff assembly still in the tractor or out by itself?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. It looks like this is a good time for me to pull the trigger on getting a second machine and a loader that I need, so cover things while I do the axle. Since I never really had great brakes, I'll dive into those while this is up on blocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts