Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been working on my 1951 B since labor day. It was running great up until then, then it seemed like all at once everything was going wrong. So far I fixed.

- gas in the oil( shut off valve is good, I think I just forgot to turn it off)

- Starting issues, bad battery(neg cell was loose on a 12 year old battery.

- 0 oil pressure (bad original gauge, bad new gauge, and had to to turn up the pump)

- Charging issues( needed a new cut out)

- 0 temp reading(have a new gauge coming)

My tractor by no means doesn't look like it rolled off the factory floor, nor would I call it a parade tractor. It's an older restore, has some scratches and leaks like any tractor for It's age. I try to use it/play with it as much as I can but it sits more than it gets out but with that said it Doesn't look like it came out of the frence row either.

Last night I was working on it and had a piece of cardboard under it to lay on. When I went out this morning there was a coaster size puddle of oil on it. The leak is lined up with the coolant drain plug.
Wood Terrestrial plant Motor vehicle Bumper Machine

Investigating more it looks like its coming up above higher and dripping off the plug.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bicycle tire

Almost seems like its coming out of this connection.....but that leads to the radiator. Unless something is draining/leaking even higher.
Fluid Wood Finger Thumb Nail

I use 10W30 oil and touching it, it still has its slick, tacky texture.....not like when the gas got into the oil that was like coffee when I pulled the drain plug out.

Eye Eyelash Wood Close-up Circle

The coolant looks nice and clean in the radiator.
Drink Plant Food Carmine Soil

And in the tester.

I'm new to working on the tractor so just wondering what might be the issue or if my eyes are playing tricks on me where it's leaking. I've replaced head gaskets before and this doesn't seem like the issue.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Wood

This is further back on the tractor so you can tell it has leaks but I've seen worst. Just confused like I mentioned. One thing that was a little alarming though. Usually when I drain the petcocks of extra gas, just clear gas comes out. This time it smelt like gas but it was a white, creamish color. Maybe just some moisture? I dumped about 5 gallons of gas in the tank the other night with some fuel system cleaner, but the the jug sat for maybe a month or two.

· Registered
762 Posts
Valve cover gasket?

· Registered
940 Posts
If the area is covered with a build up of oil/dirt and you cannot see the exact source of the oil, you may need to wipe the entire area down to the paint and then start the tractor and see where the oil originates.
Keep in mind that any area that leaks oil out could possibly allow water or cleaning solvent in, so be careful if you resort to cleaning agents or water.

· Registered
945 Posts
I’m betting you need a new valve cover gasket. Deere uses a cork gasket and it gets old and hard with age. Be a good time to remove cover, set valve lash while you’re in there and install new valve cover gasket. Glue it to valve cover to help with install and future ease of removal from cover instead of having to scrape it off the head if you ever need to replace it in the future.

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the area is covered with a build up of oil/dirt and you cannot see the exact source of the oil, you may need to wipe the entire area down to the paint and then start the tractor and see where the oil originates.
Keep in mind that any area that leaks oil out could possibly allow water or cleaning solvent in, so be careful if you resort to cleaning agents or water.
I usually spray carb or brake cleaner on a rag and keep wiping until it's clean for that very reason.

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m betting you need a new valve cover gasket. Deere uses a cork gasket and it gets old and hard with age. Be a good time to remove cover, set valve lash while you’re in there and install new valve cover gasket. Glue it to valve cover to help with install and future ease of removal from cover instead of having to scrape it off the head if you ever need to replace it in the future.
Thanks for the information. You're right "since I'm in there...." on a + note I was needing to drain the coolant for a new temperature gauge, so once that's drained I can pull that pipe down and I'm assuming just those 2 nuts and it should slide right out. Looks like a 15.00 to 20.00 gasket.

· Registered
945 Posts
There may be a return line from the governor housing that comes into the top of valve cover to remove as well. At least on my A there is. And just the two big nuts on front. These are the same studs that hold the tappets to the cylinder head. Pretty simple setup and very easy to adjust, you’ll see adjustment nuts on top side of tappets that contact pushrods. Measure clearance between tappets and valve. Just make sure the one you are adjusting is not under pressure from the camshaft.

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There may be a return line from the governor housing that comes into the top of valve cover to remove as well. At least on my A there is. And just the two big nuts on front. These are the same studs that hold the tappets to the cylinder head. Pretty simple setup and very easy to adjust, you’ll see adjustment nuts on top side of tappets that contact pushrods. Measure clearance between tappets and valve. Just make sure the one you are adjusting is not under pressure from the camshaft.
Thank you for the information. Looks like there is a return line on mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts