Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
‘66 110H and a ‘66 110
20 Posts
I’ll play!
Salt free roads daily driver, 82 K10 from California. 350 700r4 and 3.73’s
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Daily family rig. Try not to run in the winter if I can avoid it. 87 Suburban 2wd. 6.2 diesel, 700r4 and 3.73’s. From North Carolina and almost completely rust free.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Year round driver and plow truck. 76 K25. 350/350 with 4.10’s. Had it just over a year. Found it sitting in a farmers barn where it was parked for 25 years. I kept this truck period correct as I could right down to buying new bias ply traction tires for the right look.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Administrator
6,426 Posts
I like the older trucks, the no-nonsense, regular cab, 8 foot beds, void of the features that make it complicated. Basically any truck 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s. Back when trucks were trucks and were considered more of a tool than a luxury ride. Some features are nice, power steering, power brakes, AC, etc., but for the most part, a truck should be basic, simple and durable. At least that's my opinion.

Not too long ago, a square body Chevy from the 70s and 80s could be had for next to nothing. Now a rust bucket can bring a few bucks. Fords are headed that way also. And Dodges with the first generation Cummins are highly desired.

Nice old trucks, guys. Unfortunately I don't have an older Chevy or GMC truck to post, so I'll just gaze at these and the other member's trucks when they post.

· Registered
945 Posts
Don’t have photos of the one I had, but had several over years. 1985 short bed 2wd, 350, 350, Silverado. 1986 short bed 2wd, 350, 350, Silverado. 1985 3/4 ton Suburban, 454, 400 turbo, 2wd, Silverado. 1988 3/4 ton Suburban, 454, 400 turbo, 2wd.
Loved all of them. Teenager ran a stop sign one night in her grandmother’s car and totaled the 85 swb truck. Replaced it with the 86 after fighting insurance company over value of it. Retired the 85 Suburban after 454 was losing compression in number 8 cylinder and the turbo 400 was getting tired. I pulled the motor, trans, and 14 bolt rear out and kept them. Never know when you need them for a project.
Wish I still had the swb truck, but life and kids changes things, couldn’t afford to keep it when I bought my 1998 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with 454 and 4L80 trans, extended cab.

· Registered
2,882 Posts
How about the ‘86 K10 I had…. I bought it from my brother ($500). It needed a transmission and engine. I built an angry 350(504hp, 486ftlbs) and bought a 700R4 that was supposed to handle the power. It didn’t so I ended up pulling a TH400 out of a Suburban in a guys driveway. Ended up with a camshaft failure. I parked it since we just bought our first house. A little over a year later at a family Christmas party, my wife walks over to me and says “don’t be mad”… I gave your truck back to your brother. Yeah, she gave away my truck…
Here is a picture back when I was in high school. The truck and my first car…. I miss them both.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Premium Member
10,382 Posts
I have posted about my 97 Silverado Z-71 a time or two on this site...bought it new and it has less than 60 K on it at the moment. It is a keeper...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

As to even older trucks, I once had a '59 Ford 4WD with the big straight six -- room enough in the engine compartment to stand up and work on stuff in there. Also had a 1960 GMC box bed with a two speed rear end and the huge old V6 which drank fuel at a scary rate. Old trucks were not appliances like the modern ones, but work platforms that traded being built strong for any finesse/refinement. Different times...

Chuck

· Registered
2,608 Posts
Oh man, this thread is making me pine for Floyd's 58 Apache irrigation truck! Reckon I can put a floor starter button on my 07 Tundra?? :p
My dad had a '59 Apache, 3/4 ton long bed stepside. Thing was a beast especially in granny gear.
Still got the side markers.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

The custom deluxe 10 were from the wife's pickup mentioned earlier.

· Registered
2,882 Posts
Oh man, this thread is making me pine for Floyd's 58 Apache irrigation truck! Reckon I can put a floor starter button on my 07 Tundra?? :p
My grand father had a Chevy Viking dump truck. I’ve told the wife more than once if I ever find one, that it’ll come home.

Reactions: leisure67

· Registered
2,608 Posts
Here's the mrs.truck shortly after she bought and before we started dating (I think).
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

And after the first batch of rust that we fixed.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

And after we junked it, I pulled the emblems. I forgot it was a Scottsdale not a Custom Deluxe that I posted picture before. Not sure where those came from now.
Watch Font World Material property Space

Would love to find another but not without paying big bucks.

· Registered
8,980 Posts
They're cool old trucks John. I'd love to have an Apache with a long box that can haul stuff. (y)

My brother's '50 Mercury pickup has a granny gear. He can pace a parade much better than I can with the galloping gears in my '50 Ford. 1st is too fast and so is reverse.
My dad had a '59 Apache, 3/4 ton long bed stepside. Thing was a beast especially in granny gear.
Still got the side markers.
View attachment 287784
The custom deluxe 10 were from the wife's pickup mentioned earlier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts