Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Would you have the part# handy? I'll order one too. Ton of jobs on the list before this one but I like to assemble all the parts in advance so I can just rip into it, and if I delay, then I get to benefit from your learnings! : )

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Luke on a 430 how will you be able to work the pedals and the diff lock at the same time ? Ride side saddle 😁 ?
A couple have had that question. I've experienced that inconvenience on my 330 for a while. (The old one, not from you :) ) There have been a couple solutions to the problem.At one time my brother made a metal pole that slid over the diff lock rod and stored it behind the seat, to extend it and reach it with his hand. I got rid of that. It is possible to reach your other foot over, but as expected, that's weird. I usually just reach down and do it with my hand. That being said, I need to come up with a permanent solution. Some have suggested an electric solenoid and a momentary switch. That would be pretty fun. Any ideas would be welcome!

·
Registered
982 Posts
An electric switch would be a good approach. My elderly Audi A6 has an electro-vacuum diff lock on the rear axle. It disengages automatically above 5mph. You could think up a threshold of some type that would be applicable to a lawn mower but I think I'd just put a very bright warning light on the dash to remind me. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing to be forgotten, since, because the driver is concerned about traction/ being stuck, he's focused on getting out. I'd be interested though if someone thought up a useful disengage threshold

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, the car's switch is a momentary that "sets" the lock then the car speed unsets it. I don't think I've seen a tractor with a permanently-on position either although my Kenworth has an air switch that has an on position and it will stay there until turned off

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I was thinking of a momentary switch that would have to be held in for the lock to stay engaged. No tractor I’ve ever used has had a permanent diff lock lever.
I think the 4555 I rode in locks the diff lock with a pedal the stays locked until you hit it again, but that’s a 2wd tractor that had over 200hp from the factory in the form of the 4955 so probably could handle it fine.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
404 Posts
I was thinking of a momentary switch that would have to be held in for the lock to stay engaged. No tractor I’ve ever used has had a permanent diff lock lever.
Same here. My 1050 has the diff lock pedal in about the same position as the 430’s, and it doesn’t stay locked. Sometimes it’ll stay down when you take your foot off, then it’ll pop up on its own. It must just stick for a second

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My ex bil had a line lock on the front brakes of his 69 Chrysler New Yorker. He would flip the switch and could sizzle the rears till they popped or the fd came. But that’s something totally different 🤣🤣🤣

21 - 30 of 30 Posts