Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I need to replace a couple parts on my 1986 Onan B43E.

First of all: <u>Will the (engine base, item 11 below) oil pan from a 1984 316 B43G 18HP tractor SN 286379 fit properly under a 1986 316 B43E 16HP tractor SN 285001-</u>? The John Deere PN I have for the base is HE102-1271 for the SN I have. According to JDParts the 318 (S.N. 222001-420000) and the 316 (S.N. 285001-420000) share the same engine base. I cannot find anything on the 18HP 316s on JDParts only the 318 18HP.
http://www.wfmachines.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=18485"]

[B]Secondly[/B]: Other than going to my John Deere dealer for the purchase where can I get a new starter motor for my 1986 Onan B43E? Now, remember this starter is the Bendix type that has a remote solenoid as apposed to the solenoid mounted on the starter motor itself.

Any help you guys can afford to give would be greatly appreciated!

[IMG]http://www.wfmachines.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=18486"]
Kenneth}

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well guys I need to replace a couple parts on my 1986 Onan B43E.

First of all: <u>Will the (engine base, item 11 below) oil pan from a 1984 316 B43G 18HP tractor SN 286379 fit properly under a 1986 316 B43E 16HP tractor SN 285001-</u>? The John Deere PN I have for the base is HE102-1271 for the SN I have. According to JDParts the 318 (S.N. 222001-420000) and the 316 (S.N. 285001-420000) share the same engine base. I cannot find anything on the 18HP 316s on JDParts only the 318 18HP.

Secondly: Other than going to my John Deere dealer for the purchase where can I get a new starter motor for my 1986 Onan B43E? Now, remember this starter is the Bendix type that has a remote solenoid as apposed to the solenoid mounted on the starter motor itself.

Any help you guys can afford to give will be greatly appreciated!

Kenneth

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Kenneth

I bought a starter from DB electrical in TN I think. Haven't had any problems with it, but it seems there are some out there that are not that great and tend to break an ear off.

Mine was new and if I remember was around $80

BTW pretty sure the bases are the same too

·
Banned
331 Posts
ken a 84 316 did not have a B43G 18hp in it.it was a B43E 16hp.the only time they put a 18HP in a 316 was in 1991,1992 I believe and it was a P218.the 16hp B43E and the 18HP B43G use the same pan.as far as the starter whats wrong with yours??

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Romeo Isabelle Jr. - Thank you for the info on the starter motor and oil pans. I appreciate the information.

brad ruch - Thank you for the info on the oil pans as well. Regarding the starter motor. It [the starter motor] has been turnin' that B43E over slower and slower for awhile until one day all I could get was a buzzing sound out of it. At first I thought it was full of dirt and not allowing the starter to engage the ring gear but this is the Bendix type with a remote solenoid and isn't open on the top to hold dirt and crud in. It looks okay on the outside but somewhat used lookin'. I tried puttin' a hot wire from the battery to it (bypassing the solenoid) and I couldn't get it to turn. I haven't removed it from the oil pan yet but I'd like a better look and bench test it. I'm afraid, however, that it has started its last Onan.

Kenneth

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Thought I'd post a follow-up on what's happened since I made the initial post some time ago. First of all, thanks to another great WFM member (Brad Ruch) I was able to replace my oil pan! Regarding the starter motor: I did get a new one from a company by the name of Advanced Service And Parts LLC (A.S.A.P). They were great to work with, shipping the starter motor real quick and the motor was at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend this company if you're looking for some pretty specific Onan parts. I say this because they don't carry a lot of Onan parts but some general parts for RV generators.

Come to find out the starter motor that was on the tractor (which I believe is the original) was seized and just needed to be cleaned and lubricated. Well, I guess I have a standby starter now.

Kenneth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to Terry Reed for his detailed guide on LT133 steering gear assembly removal/assembly. I really appreciate it as well as the one on drive belt replacement.

My LT166 would only turn to the left. Good for NASCAR but not mowing. I found the teeth on the pinion steering gear were broken and worn. Pulled out the old gear and put a new one in.

There is some vertical slop in the steering wheel and I can pull it up about 1/8". I examined the old pinion gear closely and it looks like the bottom portion of the gear teeth went bad. If I pulled the steering wheel up, I bet I could have kept using the old pinion gear.

I looked at exploded parts diagram and I am not missing and washers or spacers. The pinion gear is also called a Sector and is part AM122732.

The tractor steers fine with the new gear but I don't want to wear it out prematurely. Should I remove the plastic steering wheel and add some spacers below it to draw the steering wheel shaft up higher so it fully engages the pinion gear teeth?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.