Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One-Of-A-Kind Custom Restored Lawn & Garden Series

Hello from Oklahoma Everyone!

I have several models of LGT and I am currently working on 4 "One-Of-A-Kind" Custome Restores....two 317's, 318, and a 332 (to start with.)

I am an avid John Deere fan but I want something different then the the usual "Factory" restore. I have no problem with "all original" restores, but I really want mine to stand out from the crowd so I have decided to go "Custom" with 4 of my projects and see how they turn out.

I have seen some very nice restore jobs, but not many "Custom Restores."

I am going to restore each tractor with a certain "Theme" and I would like input of anyone who has done all "Custom" LGT's.

I have seen some really great jobs like "Darth VaDeere" and would like to do something along those lines but with custom themes.

Let me know your thoughts and please share any restores you have along the same lines. Here is a photo of my "Silver Edition 317" that is going through a makeover. I am replacing the original worn out KT17 with a later model Kohler 20HP replacement engine with electronic ignition that I happened to be in a 317 parts tractor I bought. This should give it much more power. I will post more photos as the project progresses.

Would like to hear your feedback!!

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
John Deere is supposed to be green. The restore looks really well done, paint wise. How about the mechanical restore? Not being green probably hurts resale unless some one appreciates the mechanical restore.
It looks very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Deere is supposed to be green. The restore looks really well done, paint wise. How about the mechanical restore? Not being green probably hurts resale unless some one appreciates the mechanical restore.
It looks very nice.

We strip our tractors to the frame and repair or replace anything that is needed. I think the 20HP engine upgrade is going to be a nice "repower" and the Kohler engine is an original 317 drop in replacement. As far as resale value goes, there are tons of old 317s out there and they don't have a great resale value to begin with unless they are rare so I figure I am adding value by making them one-of-a-kind.

I have an extremely rare 317 with Brantley Power Steering that I will be doing in traditional green. I also have a rebuilt KT17 series I that I will put in it to make it all original like it came from the factory in 1979.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Are you doing this for your own satisfaction, or with the idea to resell for a profit?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks very well done and you have a thumbs up from me. I would personally like to see some of the mechanical restore pictures, but if it looks like the wrapper, I am sure it will be a happy runner.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks very well done and you have a thumbs up from me. I would personally like to see some of the mechanical restore pictures, but if it looks like the wrapper, I am sure it will be a happy runner.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
You know, it would be nice to buy a classic that was "brand new". Beats the crap out of anything less than top of the line new.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I really like the silver/black combo..................If it were mine it would have further black accent of a black seat of the same cushion contour like the 318's and also new black anti-slip foot pads on the fender deck.................but still looks very nice as is.................Gary

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very interesting JD Collector, looks like a great job.
how are you curculating the coolant, electric pump?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I have an extremely rare 317 with Brantley Power Steering that I will be doing in traditional green. I also have a rebuilt KT17 series I that I will put in it to make it all original like it came from the factory in 1979.
getting harder to find that PS steering add on but it don't make the 317 rare.

Rare does not mean desirable
Its extremely rare I go #2 in my pants but it is not desirable

Wish I could remember the member who has that as a signature

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Those are definitely different! Maybe you could put a thread out on what all you did

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Nice clean take on something different.

Needs a different color seat and hydro lever knob.

Your not going to retired making more and selling them, JD fans the green runs deep in their blood.

Reactions: michaelkitko

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made quite a few more custom mods to my silver 317.... let me know how you think it turned out??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha ok here are pics of the rest of it Before it goes back together. The frame is done

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 2 motor choices but haven't decided which one I want to do yet... I have a later series Kholer 20hp replacement engine with electronic ignition. Runs perfect. I just need to finish cleaning, strip and repainted it. Thinking of doing a matching color scheme on the motor of grey silver and black. Here is what it looks like on the bench at the moment

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine choice no. 2 is a brand new 22hp Preditor. It already matches the silver and black.

I've already got the drive shaft spacer and new muffler mounts. I simply plan to cut the current mounts off the Preditor muffler, shorten the height, and reverse the output from right to left, and weld the new mounts on for a nice tight fit in the 317.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then for the final touches, 2 tone wheels, new emblems, add a little chrome and some bling

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And for the diehard fans who have to have green....

A little accent ground lighting

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
How about an update to this post.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts