Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new plasma cutter. The dealer at the car show didn't have any good used ones nor did they try to sell me a new one. I guess dressed like I do for the big car show/swapmeet I don't look like I have any money.:lol: That's part of my buying plan! That's a trade secret, don't tell anyone.
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/200/HyperthermPowermax30xpPl
It will get a fair amount of use. Seems as word gets out that we do strange projects and powder coating more and more people are stopping by with projects they want us to do. Maybe one day I'll be able to retire again and make money in the shop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The old saying, its not the tie that makes the monkey its the monkey that makes the tie. I think you have the right idea Mike.
Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
I might be one dropping by except for the miles involved!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Not sure about those but I have a Hobart 250CI 110 volt that is about 3 years old and it was about $700 when new. If is good for 1/8 inch or less materials and uses a built in compressor. Perfectly satisfied with it but am not trying to cut really thick material. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than that and I am sure they cost more now. Roger

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$1350 free shipping or I would have went and picked it up myself. They have 3 stores within 40 miles of me.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Mike, you sure cant go wrong with Hypertherm. In my not so humble opinion, nobody makes a better plasma cutter.
My Powermax45 is a beast for its size. One of these days Ill get my table up and running, and then I can really put it to work. Of course then Ill have more work myself, but thats not a bad thing. I always hoped to be able to work for myself and be able to pay the bills, instead of working for myself and not being able to eat....lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The UPS man came today! I tried it out on some old sheet metal. Looks like I have a bit to learn. It worked really well. I'm just a little to shaky.:lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get yourself something to use as a guide. Angle iron works well for straights and you can use Masonite to make templates. Have fun cutting up everything in sight.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought an Eastwood and hate it.Need to cut thick but at nearly 3 times the price and for all the more I use it,a Hypertherm 45 was not in the budget.

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dirty was cutting the heck out of some heavy sheet metal tonight for a wood stove mock up. He's much better with it than I am. He didn't give me much of a chance to use it.:lol:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I had and OLD hypertherm, it was really finiky with starting and burned through tips fast.

When it did work I couldn't find a practical use for it. I would en up spending more time cleaning the cuts up than if I just cut with say a die grinder.

I'm sure they are useful when you get the hang of how to make nice cuts, but that one was not for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The technology may have changed some since then Mike. When the amps are set correctly there's little to no slag.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a Hypertherm 45 that I've been using on my CNC plasma table for about 5 years now. Works great and is very dependable, never had a bit of trouble out of it (not counting the problems caused by me! :bash:).
I had a job for a friend a while back where I cut some 1/2" steel plate gears for him. It had no problems with the cut. I did cut some 1" press plates for my hydraulic press, and it had to work harder on that, but it did the job.
I've been trying to find an excuse to buy the new Hypertherm 45XP, but just can't come up with a good reason to do so (yet).:drool:

Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get yourself something to use as a guide. Angle iron works well for straights and you can use Masonite to make templates. Have fun cutting up everything in sight.
We've cut up just about everything in sight.:lol: My skills are improving. Cut a piece of half inch cold rolled. Wow, no problem and very quick. If you can justify the cost, it's a great tool.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Above post appears to be spam as new account and one post, with a link (which is wither unrelated spam, or a partner link (not clicking to find out))
And it’s a 4 year old thread...

Already reported it also.
Edit: spam post deleted by @drew the awesome mod

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not real bright to put your spam in a post started by a moderator. :ROFLMAO:

I can't believe I've had it for 4 years now. I also can't believe Duwe hasn't posted in almost a year. I might have to give that boy a call.

For the record, it continues to work good as new. We've cut a ton of stuff. I used it to cut a hole in a fork on a skidsteer just because I thought I could. We've only gone through 2 tips.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I see it’s deleted, had to edit so it didn’t look like I was referring to your post as spam @drew. :LOL:

·
Registered
1989 318
741 Posts
I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about plasma cutters, never have used one, but I do know they are pretty neat tools. I built a CNC mill years ago, then thought I would build a CNC router for woodworking. I have pretty much all the components for a 30" x 30" router setup, that's when I learned about plasma and said well why don't I replace the router head with a plasma cutter. I looked up the price for plasma cutters and that kinda turned me off on the idea. It would still be a cool project, just a bit pricey for me. I can still think about though.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I wanted a hyper 45xp for the longest time. Then a no brainer deal popped up on Amazon for a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 60i. My cost was about a touch over $900 after ESAB rebate. It is a decent machine but not a hypertherm :/. I’d love to have a CNC table some day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts