Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you history buffs, I recently located the original sales receipt for a 1968 140 H3 and attachments purchased new in March 1968 by my grandfather.

The tractor, 48 rotary mower, 54" front blade with angle kit and 33 rotary tiller totaled $2,056 ... ~$14,800 in 2018 dollars.

The tractor and attachments stayed in my family for 50 years until being sold this summer. The original front blade was quickly replaced by a 49 snow thrower and the Brinly dump cart exchanged for a John Deere 80 dump cart. Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt(s) for those items.

I believe the listed trade-in was a Farmall/IH Cub. The small-town dealership sold an eclectic mix of products: John Deere, Rambler cars, McCulloch chain saws, and Johnson boats and outboard motors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Or the price of a decent new car...

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
The price of a new car?

I have only bought one new in my whole life!

But I still have my papers for the 318 with 44 loader that I went to Michigan to get..

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
A new one back then. Yeah, all my vehicles (and tractors) are pre-abused:lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I bought a 1964 --110 few years ago off older man , He still had the Bill of Sale to it,(12-5-64) He said He thought it was one of the first, If not the first one sold in his town .

Tractor --$550.00 38 in. mower deck $100.00 front blade $50.00 Tire chains $15.00 Rear wheel weights $20.00 Light set $15.00 for total of $750.00 Its all original and runs and mows like it did when it was new.....

·
Registered
752 Posts
I bought a 1964 --110 few years ago off older man , He still had the Bill of Sale to it,(12-5-64) He said He thought it was one of the first, If not the first one sold in his town .

Tractor --$550.00 38 in. mower deck $100.00 front blade $50.00 Tire chains $15.00 Rear wheel weights $20.00 Light set $15.00 for total of $750.00 Its all original and runs and mows like it did when it was new..... The Garden-N- Cart He said he bought it later and give $25-$30 dollars he said for it... The Bird and Horn Classic!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your 110 sounds like a great find -- well cared for by the original owner and with the bill of sale. Thanks for sharing the data!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was restoring a old 71 Chevelle SS back in the early 90's and found the original window sticker under the rear seat.. That car was retailed for about $3300 if I remember correctly.. That's a few years newer than the 68 140 but I would think that one could of got a cheaper car for close to the same price as that 140..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I see the tiller was the most expensive add on. I'm wondering if the tiller came with the PTO or was that on the tractor already or purchased later when tiller was needed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think that one could of got a cheaper car for close to the same price as that 140..
You're right about that. A 1968 Volkswagen Beetle had an MSRP of $1,700. The same grandfather that bought the above 140 surprised my grandmother with a new 1967 Pontiac LeMans for about $2,700 (no Chevelle SS, but surprisingly quick for a 326 V-8 and two-speed (!) automatic transmission -- at least compared to the VW Karmann-Ghia my grandmother had been driving).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the tiller was the most expensive add on. I'm wondering if the tiller came with the PTO or was that on the tractor already or purchased later when tiller was needed?
Hmmm ... those are good questions. My grandfather was an avid gardener, so I'm confident he purchased the tractor in March 1968 with the rear PTO installed and ready to run the tiller for the spring planting.

Maybe someone here knows if the rear PTO was packaged with the 33 tiller. The guy I sold the 140 to this summer told me the mysterious green metal plate I had with the tractor was the PTO pulley access hole cover.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Since the tractor rear pto is listed on JDParts as part of the tiller, it seems likely that it was sold as part of the tiller package, and installed by the dealer before delivery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Cliff. I didn't think to look on the JDParts site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts