Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original suspension seat. Very solid, nice condition. I am willing to sell or trade for a non-suspension version.

Asking $425 outright.

Other 318 things I might have for sale coming up, are a 4-way blade, 48c deck (The modern one), and 318 with fresh Honda repower. 318 would have to sell before I'd let the deck go separately. I haven't fully settled on what my plan is, so just putting this out as feeler. Message me if interested.

Located in SW Minnesota.

Thanks

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Matthew, I see seat suspension is adjustable using socket/wrench on adjusting cap screw on top, center of assembly. I do not see a fore/aft slider. This adjustment is accomplished by loosening hardware and moving the base. The knobs on front hardware I see have been replaced with hex nuts. It also has flip over seat option.

Attached is photo of compact tractor seat suspension I just paid $80 for (at a Deere auction) that I plan on installing on my 317. It is also minus the sliders and does not have flip over option. I have never bid on GT seat suspension. Is your asking price typical for this assembly or did I just get a once in a lifetime deal on suspension assembly?

Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gabby, I’d say you got a heckuva deal sir!

430 suspension seats usually go for 150$ (clapped out, needing new bushings) to 300$ (cosmetically used but 100% functional/need nothing). Of course, this is my opinion only.

I used a 455 suspension seat on my 332. Much newer, built-in slider, and nice riding. Cheap, and effective and only required a couple new holes in the fender pan. I care nothing for originality and only for function/comfort.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Gabby,

Yes that is a great price! The only challenge I can foresee with that seat is the added height, but if you are back far enough your thighs and knees should still clear the steering wheel... Of course we will need pictures of your rig once you get this installed !!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Would the knob for spring tension have to come off for the flip mod?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gabby,

I based my price off of what I've seen listed in the past, and also what is currently available on ebay and such. This has the suspension, and flip over, where as the others I've seen do not have the flip. It also seems very tight, and not all worn to heck or broken.

On the 322 I have and use I have an aftermarket replica of this seat, as I am not concerned about originality either. There are some guys that are. I am likely going to sell the tractor it came on, and depending on who buys it, I just want to see this part go to someone that will appreciate it for what it is.

$425 is a newly listed price, it is easier to start high and come down then go the other way. :) You did get a great deal on your suspension seat though.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
There was never a knob on the suspension seat for the open frame tractors or any older models that I m aware of --- here are exploded views both with the flip up option of the seat itself and with the suspension mechanism:

flip up seat without suspension.jpg Suspension seat exploded view.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Chuck, key # 14 is the knob I was speaking of. To be honest I find this knob very difficult to work with even on the seat spring option.

I did a quick check to try to determine where the suspension I bought is used. The auctioneer said it was from a compact tractor but did not say Deere compact tractor. I checked 4300, 2305, 1023, and 1025. This suspension does not appear to be used on any of those models. I'm trying to find out if sliders or flip over are options that can be added to this suspension.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Thanks Gabby,

I thought you meant the seat suspension tension adjustment (because your auction one has that...) and not the seat position adjustment... A picture or drawing always helps us to be sure we are discussing the same thing and this time it helps me know what knob was in question in your post. I have not been very good at getting the seat position slide adjustments (with the original knob or with a replacement fastener) to work well for me on any tractor that I acquire that has been outside much at all. Seems those do not get moved/lubricate/adjusted/protected from rust if a single operator is using the tractor.

My X495 had a suspension seat with a slide-back track that worked poorly as well, but that tractor had over 2000 hours of cemetery use when I bought it and surely saw multiple operators. The seat mechanism itself was not nearly as robust as the one for the 322 and it had severe wear in the hinge rod area. I reinforced it when I replaced the seat cushion as that cushion came with half the hinge parts, but the suspension half was expensive and otherwise serviceable. I just used inexpensive items I found at the hardware store to make the modifications...

x495 seat suspension with worn eyelets.jpg

x495 seat bracket worn eyelets.jpg

x495 seat repair bracket plus bushing.jpg

x495 seat repair brackets and hinge pin.jpg

Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.