Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who has 18” V61’s on a 316, 318, 330, 322, 332 running a 50” deck do they clear the deck? Old member got back into this after divorce got me a 330 and might try the oversized tires 26X12X12 rear 18X8.5X8 front with 50” deck?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have an H047 deck that was on my 317 with 26x12-12 wheels on the rear. PO hacked off the rear caster wheel brackets so there was no interference. Deck is solid but no rear wheels. Not sure which draft arms a 330 uses. I have both to make it fit.

Do not hack a perfectly good 50" deck to make it fit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gabby I would want to hack a good deck, I remember when on the old site this may have been done, without hacking gage wheels off. Perhaps it was front tire clearance as I think I remember Chuck V have large front tires on his 322.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Highwayman,

Yes I ran 18 diameter fronts on my 322 and found they were able to contact the front edge of my 46 inch deck at full steering lock. The wheel even just touched the power steering ram at full lock too. I added a spacer at the front axle to limit the steering lock by a few degrees... Here is shot of the 322 with the 26 inch rears and 18 fronts -- this tractor ended up not being used for mowing as I had another one with the stock wheels as seen in this nose to nose image.
non-identical twins 1.jpg

Although you did not ask -- the 26 inch rear tires will also interfere with the deck anti-scalp wheels as Gabby mentioned above. Not by much, but definitely touch at full deck lift.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Chuck explained his situation. Again. And again. And again. And again .....

Sorry Chuck. I know your tractors well.

I am just offering a deck that has been hacked and is in solid condition. I just hate seeing good vintage equipment being butchered just because something looks rad. The day will come soon enough when 50" decks will not be found.

Yes, I have a tractor like that but it has already been demoted to generally duty work. I don't mow or blow snow with it because modifications I and PO made do not allow those attachments to fit any more. Let me suggest there are 24X12-12 tires available. They should allow clearance and not require cutting up a good deck.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is a large range of actual tire size in 26 12 12 tires, from 24-27 inches. I have run Deestone 26 12 12 r1 tires that measure 24" tall on 420 wheels on a 322 without interference with a 50" deck. There is no way you could run 26 12 12 Carlisle turf chiefs or Firestone r1 without rubbing.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Doug,

I very much agree that tire make/model can and will make a difference as to how much if any clearance you will have on a shorter frame 3xx tractor compared to the longer 420/430. It also matters which stance you select by rim offset, in the wide stance you may hit the gauge wheels...in the narrow position you may not.

Gabby -- It is good that you offered up an already modified deck so as to save a stock one any mutilation, and your point on using 24 inch tires on a tractor that needs to accept all attachments intended by the factory is a very valid one. I did not mean my post to appear to be an answer or counter to anything you offered in this tread...just wanted to reply specifically to Highwayman1's post #3 above to refresh his memory. My appologies if the information I provided in this thread may seem repetitive or stale to those on this forum that have been active for years. I am glad to see the topic so thoroughly discussed and am grateful for all viewpoints on alternatives.

Chuck

·
Registered
632 Posts
As has been posted, its possible.
The rear tires have to run on the smaller size to fit. A 26 inch that only measures 24.5 in fits.
The 18 in v61 tire "almost" fits. Mine rubs the deck slightly with the wheel at full lock. I just dont turn that tight, most of the time I do a k turn to avoid it.
But, I like the looks of the tractor.
Heres my 332 with 50 in deck on 26×12×12 deestone and 18 v61 tires.

As posted already, a true 26 in tire wont fit without cutting the gage wheel brackets off.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have two sets of rear tires that have damage on one side that looks to be from catching on something, like the deck wheel brackets when it was raised. They probably cleared when it was down but unexpectedly hit when it was picked up. I say unexpectedly because I doubt somebody would raise the deck while moving if they knew they wouldn't clear in that position. Both sets are ag type Trupower tires not turfs. There is adequate clearance for them in any position on a 400 with a 60" deck so I assume at some point they (the tires) were mounted on another tractor model with a smaller deck.

One of the pair I have were taken off Cub Cadet wheels I bought to get the 4 hole type my golf cart requires. I mounted the tires on 400 wheels. You can see in this pic where the outer tread on one tire was nipped off at some point before I got them. The other pair had exactly the same damage as these do. They were on the first 400 I bought back in 2006. They didn't hit on the 60 inch deck on that tractor either. I wore them out. Treads were still ok but the hide between them was so thin you could poke a hole in them with a pencil.

I have 12x14-12 turfs on one 400. They don't hit on the deck either. Not a huge amount of clearance on the right side but not a super tight gap either.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
These are the set of tires that came with my first 400. Exact same damage as the tires that came on the CC wheels and likely the same cause. Like I said though, they were fine on a 400 with a 60 inch deck.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your probably correct, Army.
I have 26 in deestone tires on the 318 also. Last year I picked up a 48 in replacement deck for it.
That deck just touches the right rear tire. At the bend of the bracket for the gage wheel. Other tires like the Carlisle wouldnt fit at all. Those squared off tread adds width, the deestones are rounded.
The shape of the deck also limits tire size. The 48 replacement isnt straight across the back, a 50 in deck is.
A few inches here and there makes the difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Damn Skwirl, that is one sweet looking 332! 26×12×12 deestone and 18 v61 tires just made my short list for upgrades. I bought the Deestone D405 in 23x10.5-12 soon after I bought my 332 a few years ago and ever since have wanted to fill that space more under the fenderpan. The fronts are standard carlisles. Since I mow my 332 with the 46" deck, I'm assuming I won't have any rub or can at least mod the steering lockout. Here's a pic with the 23x10.5:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts