Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 420 gave up the ghost. It would still start and run ok but would blow out the carb under load and would lose power completely under load. I pulled the engine and the repair shop I took it to said the lower end of one cylinder was out of round. It had good fit and compression at TDC but not at the bottom of the cycle. This engine has about 1300 hours on it. I am inclined to part it out and my a running engine. Can the engine be repaired? Thx. Phil

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Phil, all engines can be repaired. It just depends how much money you want to spend on it.
I bought a new engine for my tractor, because I knew I wasnt ever going to sell mine. I ran it for 22 years, and now hope to run it 22 more. In the long run the cost is very cheap to me. I paid 1700.00 for the motor. Sold the old one ,which ran perfect for 450. So, for 1250.00 total divided by 22 years of use , it cost me 56.81 a year to use it. I dont think thats bad.
Just my 2 cents.
Roy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand the how much to spend issue. My original question was probably a little vague. I plan on keeping the tractor so I also am willing to spend some to keep it. Did you repower with the 23 Vanguard? Is it powerful enough? I use mine for a lot more than mowing (7 acre farm). There is also a place in Ohio that sells remanufactured short blocks. I would be interested in hearing from anyone having gone that route?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Personally, I went with a new P220 in my 318. I like the sound of the Onan, and its got more than enough power.
Now, if I had to do it all over agian, and a new P220 wasnt available, I would most likely go with a Kohler. Edens had a 25hp kit at one time...and thats just about right for me!
I believe the OHV engines use less fuel also, which would be a nice + over the Onans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.