Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm in the process of cleaning up and restoring my 314 and I just wanted to get some opinions on paint.
I don't own any professional paint equipment, (sprayer, compressor, etc)....so I was considering doing my job with the ole' spray can. Is this a bad idea? Can a good job be done with a spray can and if so, what are some tips to ensure it? I've got the whole body sanded down to the steel and cleaned up all the rust, just bare metal.
Any tips. Or should I just take it to someone and have it done. Is this costly?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mark,ask Roy Schroeder for some pictures of his recent restoration on a 112.Done with rattle cans.SHOW quality,but he claims it's just for use as a tiller tractor.HA!You should ask for photos of the tiller too...Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's a shot of my '60 done a few years ago with rattle cans.Took about 8-10 cans at roughly $6 a can.Maybe not as cheap as a quart or two of JD green paint,but,no thinner needed,no clean up,and no compressor.I didn't have to do it this way but decided to try it to see how it turned out.Big key in making it real nice is to put on a coat or two,let dry thoroughly(a week)then wet sand and coat again.Repeat if needed.Can be time consuming,which is the down side...Joe

·
Banned
10 Posts
Wow this is great and just what I wanted to know.
Great job LGTJOE!
I did a rattle can job a few years ago and wet sanded the runs or any orange peel. I never thought of sanding then repainting. I am new to this, I am sure several of you are thinking everyone knows prime, sand, prime, sand etc. but some of didn't know this.

I have a cozy cab for my 420 that is great but has some bare - non rusted metal spots. I can't wait to do this

Yamadoo

·
Registered
138 Posts
He and I think yours would beat ours anyday.Thanks...Joe

Hey guys,go to the Vintage garden tractor discussion forum archives from July 7th.Scroll down until you find Roys 3 pics. of his 112.That should make up your mind about rattle cans...Joe

·
Banned
165 Posts
Joe,
I've always used my hvlp gun and compressor in the past, but the 316K I'm restoring now is going to be a rattle can job. I don't have any pics on this computer, but so far I have been very pleased with the finish. And no gun to clean up!

Jim

·
Registered
122 Posts
I rattle canned my 330. It turned out great and would be better if I would have taken the gouges out of the hood but I plan on using it. take you time and what I do is paint outside when it is quite hot so that lessens the bug population and then I let it cook in the sun. It seems to always give it a nice finish.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Mark, I hope you enjoy your 314 restore! I also painted my 316 with cans and it turned out AWESOME!!! I used original JD paint in rattle cans, they were a little more expensive but well worth it...good quality paint. Also...be patient, take your time, allow lots of drying & curing time. If you really want to go crazy, try wet sanding w/ 1000,1500 & 2000 grit before buffing & polishing but remember...it's a tractor,it might get used and scratched. Good luck!

·
Banned
33 Posts
How "thorough" a resto are you doing?? Just cosmetic?? Complete mechanical overhaul?
I have a 314 that I am starting to accumulate parts for; body/chassis-wise, it's decent (may buff out even) engine wise it is TIRED! deck wise I have 2 here that need gutted blasted and painted; I plan on using something quite durable (probably something sprayed out of my spray gun/compressor with a hardener added) because I am wanting to do it once and have it last;
but I am building something that I can count on for daily use; NOT a parade queen;
do you have a thread to follow here, detailing the resto?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought the point of this thread was to to determine if a nice paint job can be achieved using spray cans.In a word,YES.John Deere enamel is John Deere enamel,whether it comes out of an aerosol can or spray gun.They(Deere and Co.)never used hardener in their paint,just baked it on.Yes I agree that a complete restoration means restoring EVERY part to "as-new" condition,but the original post asks if spray cans are worth using if compressor/guns aren't available.My 2 cents worth...Joe

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, this has all been such excellent advice! Thanks everyone who has contributed. I've started the prep phase, sanding / rust removal....I did manage to get one of the side panels painted with the rattle can and it looks great! I'll post pictures as I progress. (Don, I just rebuilt the engine...to answer your question, decks in pretty good shape too)

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, I said I would get back with some progress pics, well here they are.

This picture give you an idea what kind of shape the body was in before the paintjob.

The paint I used I picked up at Thiesen's in Ames, IA. It really covered well.

After painting the side panel, the finish really shined, (the reflection seen is an overhead light)

Here's a couple pictures of the finished job.

You can see that I still need to paint my rims. Its funny, before the paintjob the rims were the nicest part of the mower.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Mark, at the hardware store you can buy a top with a handle and trigger on it that snaps onto the can. Then the can works as a gun..the idea is if you are painting alot, it's easier on the finger and wrist...you can hold your wrist at less of an angle..then you can use strokes like a gun, works great.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I'm in the process right now of preventive painting. I am using rustoleum farm equipment 12 oz. spray cans in John Deere colors that I bought at the box store ($4). They match real well and spray very evenly with no runs. I bought the handle attachment to have a more natural spray ($2). Good Luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ben,I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but my experiences with the Rustoleum have not been the greatest.It looks great/matches great when first sprayed but over a short period of time will start to become very dull and the color match begins to go away.My advice is this,try doing your painting with it then top coat with JD green.Saves money and you still have plenty of paint for a nice finish.JMHO...Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys I would like to know if some of you that have paint it with spray gun, did you put a clear coat on it??Because I bought the primer + paint but the finish would it be like on the previous picture or I will have to put a clear on it?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.