Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1972 JD 110-SF
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got word I'll need surgery to fix my acl and meniscus in my better knee, so I've been in a rush to get my wildlife food plots planted. It was on the list of things to do yesterday but the forcast called for thunderstorms, high winds,
hail, and was put under a tornado watch here in WI...........not even a drop of rain occuried. So today I took the B and my IH 249 planter and put in 16 rows of sun flowers.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Target species?
More so for entertainment purposes. I just enjoy working up the plots, and planting them. Our living room looks out to the marsh and the family and visitors enjoy seeing the wildlife. I use to be really big into deer and waterfowl hunting and haven't done as much over the years getting older but really want to get back into it and enjoy time with my dad yet. My brother inlaw is really handy and helps me with projects on the farm. He's big into waterfowl hunting so I let him hunt out there. Usually October- March there's knee to hip high water. The rest of the year it's dry and have, hiking, atv and hayride trails mowed in it.

Sky Plant Atmosphere Ecoregion Vertebrate

Water Sky Plant Dog Tree

Snow Plant Vertebrate Tree Natural landscape

Sky Plant Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass

·
Registered
165 Posts
I worked up my food plot with a tractor and 6ft tiller, plan to broad cast some sunflower seeds with a hand seeder. Will be a first for the food plot, no more turnips, deer (and everything else) don't eat them. Planting sunflowers for the birds.

Good usable old corn planters are getting hard to find. Looking forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I treat my winter yard like a big food plot...use a mixture of hybrid tetraploid forage ryegrass and mix in some bagged seed that has deer cabbage and 2 types of clover. Gives the deer and rabbits that live in the woods bordering our place some good groceries.
Had to fence and Post the edges that adjoin our yards to keep the nasty townies out...they were dumping tires, small appliances and lots of yard trash in the woods. Can't wait to retire and move back home to the country...nothing like wide open spaces!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I worked up my food plot with a tractor and 6ft tiller, plan to broad cast some sunflower seeds with a hand seeder. Will be a first for the food plot, no more turnips, deer (and everything else) don't eat them. Planting sunflowers for the birds.

Good usable old corn planters are getting hard to find. Looking forward to seeing the results.
I planted my 2 acre pasture with a tractor tiller, broadcast spreader, and a bunker rake my 1st year on the farm.
Wheel Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Plant Sky Hood Automotive tire

My 1st food plot was tilled up with a spring tooth drag, broadcasted again, then dragged with a wooden spikebtooth drag. I had good results and the drag almost put everything into rows.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

I bought a mini disk for my atv, and got a great deal on my planter for my 2nd season season of plots. I decided to plant sun flowers by the road. To draw people to our pumpkin wagon. We had a lot of people knock on the door and asked to take pictures and others who just pulled up ran through the field and quick took some shots.I used the corn planter and a large corn plate. Sun flowers seem to do better in rows and evenly spaced from what I read on hunting sites but I'll look forward to your results.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

You're right about planters I looked for 2 years. I was only finding steel wheel ones with no plates. Average is about 500.00 is what I saw and it was stuff pulled from the weeds. Anything with rubber wheels people were asking over 800. The the funny thing is I see guys buy a 6 row for 1200, and cut it down and make money off of a 1 row 3 point for the same price. Between food plots, amish and hobby farms it's hard finding a good deal on stuff and prices sky rocketed. Over the last year I've seen basic drags go average 50.00 to 200 now. I've noticed online auctions are usually your best chance of getting a fair price.

Good luck with the plots and keep us posted.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape People in nature

1 - 9 of 9 Posts