Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I'm gonna wait for dark to acquire that lawn vacuum. (y)

Here's my 430 just before I brought it home to NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations, from the show me state:
View attachment 268258
It's my ditching and general dirt work chaos machine.

Here's last year's project, the 322 rescued from Beavis and Butthead up in Oklahoma. Now it's my back up mower and general work mule:
View attachment 268260

Here's my first JD GT, the 212...even though this is the Hydrostatic forum. Got to include all the herd:
View attachment 268261

·
Registered
8,275 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Here's mine. Had a bunch of gear drives and still do but this is a 300/400 thread, so..

1975 400, an every bolt and nut resto, almost original and could be again. Decals are for a '75. Has side exit exhaust now and got a new muffler when it was restored. I still have the front exit muffler and grille though. Tires and seat aren't the correct type and I have 5 bolt front hubs on it but she's a working girl so that isn't really an issue to me. Deck is the newer type that's very similar to a 420 deck.

400 blower tractor. Dedicated to that purpose now but I put the front blade on it sometimes.

First 400 I bought after a refurbish. Kind of a corny pic ain't it.

Same 400 with a Brantly loader on it. Loader was sold. Still trying to forgive myself.

The 400 I had the front blade on till last Friday. I use the 3 point on it most of the time too. Deck is on it now so the front wheels are coming off and stock wheels/tires will go back on it. They're on my 214 right now and I don't have a pair of stock 214 wheels/tires so I'm gonna put the spare wheels/tires from my parts 400 on it. I can't find the original side covers for this 400 at the moment. I have two other sets but one pair is for a 400 with front exit exhaust and the other pair were on the parts 400 I bought. There was a set of covers on this 400 too till I put the VG engine in it but I didn't put them back on yet. I hope to heck they didn't get mixed in with the scrap steel I got rid of (!). I don't see how though.

The parts tractor I bought to get the 23 HP Vanguard, and the 400 parts too of course. Doesn't look bad in the pic but the deck shell was literally junk. Scrappy Doo (local scrap metal guy) got it.

420 I bought from my brother. It's been a glitchy problematic tractor from the get go and is still a work in progress. Currently needs the deck PTO shaft welded. I love the turning radius but other than that I see no significant advantage over a 400. I actually prefer the manual PTO on a 400. Be nice if the rear wheels on a 400 weren't so oddball though.

317 I bought and then sold to another WFM guy. Sold him the front single cylinder blade too.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
You look way too serious when you mow Joe. :D

Here I am riding my 43 year old 316 that I bought new waaaaayyyyyyy back when the beard was dark and I had hair. Sorry if all the exposed flesh bothers anyone, but I'm a fat old guy and I like to be dressed as cool as possible in the summer heat. Also take note that I don't have as much "belly room" as I used to. Something must have happened to the tractor. Other than the "belly room' she runs pretty much like the day I bought it. My best guess is it has about 2500 to maybe 3000 hours on it. The secret to such long engine life? Change the oil often, because oil is cheap, engines are not. I am on my second mower deck, the first one was just plain wore out after me using the tractor for a lawn maintenance business for 6 years.
View attachment 268639

·
Registered
8,275 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Great shot! The loader uprights have often been referred to as goal posts. Maybe it's been figured out now but despite quite a few discussions nobody ever seemed to know why they extend up above the crossbar. What's your theory Skwirl?

Heres my 2 diesel tractors. I'm enjoying the shake, rattle and roll, lol.
View attachment 268608

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Roll over protection, with a side benefit of a light mount.
That seems like it would work just as well as the locating ROP behind the operator. You'd think they'd connect the posts at the top though. Otherwise the posts might plant themselves in the ground and stop the roll over with the tractor upside down.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I would think the intent of the goal posts would be to stop a rollover on the side. There were no seatbelts on a 4x5 tractor.
When these were new, there wasnt as many lawyers or as many stupid people.
Goal post speculation aside.. that's an awesome loader and tractor combo Skwirl. Every one of us would love to have it.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Unless it’s upside down, then a normal ROPS does a better job as it makes a safe area for someone underneath, while that would pancake someone purely because it’s to short.
The goal posts would probably work well for me. I don't do anything around here that would result in a complete rollover. What I tackle with my tractors and the speeds I go would likely just result in the tractor ending up on its side at worst. Obviously that wouldn't be good either but better than the alternative. The only thing I do that might be an issue at all is mow a section of ditch bank that is about 30 deg for a hundred feet or so. I have the wheels in the wide position and I go really slow and if it somehow did tip over it wouldn't be very violent. I don't care to test that hypothesis though.

Gave myself quite a thrill one day backing up with a 40 HP IH tractor loader. I was in a hurry loading a road sander in a gravel pit the County owned. I was backing up pretty fast and turned sharply to swing around and line the bucket up with the sander box. Went up on 2 wheels and balanced there few seconds. That was 40 years ago but I can still vividly recall the seat of my pants telling me I was teetering right on the edge of rolling/not rolling. Just a tad more momentum and it would have gone badly. I was alone at the pit too. Nobody would have likely come looking for me for a while. Never did that again.

That particular sander was a stupid design. The plow/sander equipment company only made a few of them. It was a single axle International. The hoist lifted the box up at the back instead of the front so the sand would slide forward to where the chute and spinner were located. Near the end of the sanding run the back of the box would be sticking up in the air on about a 45 deg angle.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I occasionally think about also putting a K532 from a 400 in that 214. Or maybe a Predator twin. If I can make one fit with the side covers on I would immediately apply for certification as a gynecologist. There's good money to be made in that profession. (y)

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
When I read this I was not sure what you meant. The picture tells the story, yes, definitely wired! Some people are so freakin lazy!
I was gonna say something about them being dumb asses too but since I've done my share of cobbling stuff together over the years I fear the lightning.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
As you guys well know, it can be a bugger to steer straight with a tiller in the ground. A narrower one is easier to control in that respect but they still have a mind of their own. I managed to get off course with a tiller and into the neighbor's electric fence one day. I was working up a new garden area along a pasture fence and being somewhat stubborn I tried to turn away from it instead of stopping, picking the tiller up and moving over. I kept getting closer and closer to the fence until some nasty electrons staged a surprise attack. Part of the shock was that I actually got a shock. The fence hadn't been energized for several years. First clue it was turned on again should have been the cows in the pasture that weren't there before. Our dog Meatloaf got shocked a few days after that when he tried to go under the wire. Not sure if he yelped the loudest or I did.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts