Weekend Freedom Machines banner
201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Technically the 31 tiller is suppose to spin in the same direction as the 33. The drive belt from the mule drive to the tiller should have a flip. They run forward rotation to "climb" over rocks and obstructions.
And I believe also so they can chop material better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Technically the 31 tiller is suppose to spin in the same direction as the 33. The drive belt from the mule drive to the tiller should have a flip. They run forward rotation to "climb" over rocks and obstructions.
Well that's good to know.
I'm sure I mounted the mule drive correctly and the belts weren't twisted.
That bugger would till some ground for sure and churned up any grass or weeds. It had the extension on it too.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
As you guys well know, it can be a bugger to steer straight with a tiller in the ground. A narrower one is easier to control in that respect but they still have a mind of their own. I managed to get off course with a tiller and into the neighbor's electric fence one day. I was working up a new garden area along a pasture fence and being somewhat stubborn I tried to turn away from it instead of stopping, picking the tiller up and moving over. I kept getting closer and closer to the fence until some nasty electrons staged a surprise attack. Part of the shock was that I actually got a shock. The fence hadn't been energized for several years. First clue it was turned on again should have been the cows in the pasture that weren't there before. Our dog Meatloaf got shocked a few days after that when he tried to go under the wire. Not sure if he yelped the loudest or I did.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
As you guys well know, it can be a bugger to steer straight with a tiller in the ground. A narrower one is easier to control in that respect but they still have a mind of their own. I managed to get off course with a tiller and into the neighbor's electric fence one day. I was working up a new garden area along a pasture fence and being somewhat stubborn I tried to turn away from it instead of stopping, picking the tiller up and moving over. I kept getting closer and closer to the fence until some nasty electrons staged a surprise attack. Part of the shock was that I actually got a shock. The fence hadn't been energized for several years. First clue it was turned on again should have been the cows in the pasture that weren't there before. Our dog Meatloaf got shocked a few days after that when he tried to go under the wire. Not sure if he yelped the loudest or I did.
I wonder if it's easier to steer with a bigger tractor? Even though the tiller is bigger, maybe it's a weight thing too? I've never tilled with a Garden Tractor. So I don't have any experience with that, as I just till with the 1050. Though, I do have a row plow for the 430 that I've never used. Maybe I'll give it a shot this upcoming spring/summer.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Steering is better with backward tine rotation...the tiller is just like a heavy drag in that configuration, so steering is going only to be limited by traction. With forward tine rotation the tiller is pushing the tractor and yes, steering can be an issue then. You have all seen my picture of reclaiming the abandoned front orchard space where the tilling is in pretty straight rows...that was done with reverse tine rotation. You can see the slight cross slope of the plot, but steering was not an issue. I did have a bit of weight on the front bracket, but I only had regular turf tires. It was relatively easy to stay on the bank and out of the ditch by the road.

Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Natural landscape

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Lawn mower

Chuck

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Chuck, that last pic ^ does not look like the tiller is installed in reverse tine rotation. Am I correct or am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Yes, it was forward for the second pass... Here is the factory recommendation sheet for depth, 'aggressiveness' and tiller direction choices. By "Aggressiveness or dipping force" I presume it is referring to tendency to dig in to the ground. I don't recall which mount positions I was using but likely it was set for the "most conditions" combination of B and C...
Line Parallel Font Triangle Schematic

Chuck

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'll have to study that again right before I start to till again.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts