Weekend Freedom Machines banner
221 - 240 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I’m thinking about taking a non flip suspension seat base, making it a flip, and extending it back 2”. Wondering though if that will put a torque stress on the bushings and wear it out faster,…
I run double springs on my machines because I'm a big ol boy and I like the leg room it provides. So far, so good on the 430 seat arrangement. Never looked up the year by the serial number.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Nice, I like it...may try that with a stock seat. I like double springs for the added height, above and away from fuel tank filler neck. I put a 2x4 or 2x3 crossways in the bottom springs to adjust give and stiffness. Firm ride, but that's okay. Lots of other options used/shown in other threads.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I put a tractor suspension seat on my 430.
Nice 430! That seat looks really nice. Also noticed you have a 330, that’s pretty cool!

Reactions: LukeL and Timothy

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
That's a really nice 430 Luke! I tried to find a backrest like yours for the suspension seat I had without the curved part that wraps around an operator. That style is a PITA for getting on and off. Never did find one so I put the original 8N seat on the base and mounted it on that tractor. Had to make a few mods but nothing major. It rides really nice now (sorry for the red and grey in a green and yellow thread).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

I put a tractor suspension seat on my 430.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Wow, that gives new meaning to the word 'beater' ! love that rag tire too!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Well I took her out for a spin.
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Cloud

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Sweet...good work. Gonna put her to work on the family hacienda after the show? What size deck you gonna hang on it?
She doesn’t have a deck that is anything approaching usable and we already have a ZT and a 345. So primarily will just be pulling stuff or doing front blade work. Hope to eventually get a 3pt and 54C blade on day.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Is it a challenge to turn it?

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Thanks- the 430 has been a fun project. Working on the deck now. If you consider how I found it I’d say it’s good enough looking. It even came with a steering cylinder leak collection system if you look at the pictures

And I do enjoy the 330 a lot.

Wow, that poor ole has seen batter days! I can’t believe that was the same tractor as your other picture. What happened to that right front tire?😂😂

·
Registered
96 Posts
In regards to my 100" lawn mowing setup pictured above:

I mow 2.8 acres with the standard obstructions: house, driveway, barn, trees, 2 creeks, etc
Oh yes - It was a beast to turn. I feel I spent more time turning things around than going straight.
My mowing time with this 100" setup was 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Plant Tire Lawn mower Mower Vehicle

Now fast forward a year or two: Bought a 420, 60" deck, and repowered with a 23HP Vanguard.
I mow the same acreage and same obstacles in a total time of 2 hours - with NO pull behind mower!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Riding mower Tractor

Scenario #1: 316 and offset mower: 100" cutting swath for 1 hour and 45 minutes of mow time.
Scenario #2: 420 and no offset mower. 60" cutting swath and an even 2 hours of mow time.

I stuck with the 420!

(By the way - I'm reminded of a song I used to sing to myself when mowing with that 100" setup: "Give Me 40 Acres and I'll Turn This Rig Around" by Boxcar Willie)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Running up to the shed to fuel here up (a Kohler’s favorite thing)
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire

221 - 240 of 298 Posts