Weekend Freedom Machines banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Roll over protection, with a side benefit of a light mount.
That seems like it would work just as well as the locating ROP behind the operator. You'd think they'd connect the posts at the top though. Otherwise the posts might plant themselves in the ground and stop the roll over with the tractor upside down.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That seems like it would work just as well as the locating ROP behind the operator. You'd think they'd connect the posts at the top though. Otherwise the posts might plant themselves in the ground and stop the roll over with the tractor upside down.
Unless it’s upside down, then a normal ROPS does a better job as it makes a safe area for someone underneath, while that would pancake someone purely because it’s to short.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ROPS are completely useless unless you are wearing the seatbelt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really like the look of that loader and I bet it will come in real handy.
In my opinion, there is no way those goal post uprights could be considered ROPS. For example, that "chin" bar has one bolt on each side. Seems to me those uprights would fold in a second. Can't see how the uprights are connected or bolted to the masts either.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ROPS are completely useless unless you are wearing the seatbelt.
Or have the luck to not be pinned.
This reminds me of ROPS stuff on GTT. “My brothers neighbors deceased 3rd wives cousin was killed in a freak freak accident because of the ROPS so I won’t use them.” :LOL:

Reactions: MGrant and jd_joe

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Your brothers neighbours what? :D

This reminds me of ROPS stuff on GTT. “My brothers neighbors deceased 3rd wives cousin was killed in a freak freak accident because of the ROPS so I won’t use them.” :LOL:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would think the intent of the goal posts would be to stop a rollover on the side. There were no seatbelts on a 4x5 tractor.
When these were new, there wasnt as many lawyers or as many stupid people.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Your brothers neighbours what? :D
That actually isn’t to far off from some of the posts on GTT.
Also in case anyone wonders I almost always use the seatbelt (and ROPS is always up)

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
That actually isn’t to far off from some of the posts on GTT.
Also in case anyone wonders I almost always use the seatbelt (and ROPS is always up)
I'd like to get a seatbelt for my 1050. Originally, they came with one, but some goof before I got it put a different seat on it and wired it to the seat suspension. Yes, you heard that right, wired it! That's one of the biggest things I'd like to straighten out

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I would think the intent of the goal posts would be to stop a rollover on the side. There were no seatbelts on a 4x5 tractor.
When these were new, there wasnt as many lawyers or as many stupid people.
Goal post speculation aside.. that's an awesome loader and tractor combo Skwirl. Every one of us would love to have it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd like to get a seatbelt for my 1050. Originally, they came with one, but some goof before I got it put a different seat on it and wired it to the seat suspension. Yes, you heard that right, wired it! That's one of the biggest things I'd like to straighten out
How's about a pic of seat wire job?

Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Goal post speculation aside.. that's an awesome loader and tractor combo Skwirl. Every one of us would love to have it.
Thanks Army, it is a nice attachment. But it could use some tweaking to make it better.
Nothings ever perfect, lol.

Edit:
Hey, this is my 1k post, yippee!

Reactions: army and DEERE317

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Unless it’s upside down, then a normal ROPS does a better job as it makes a safe area for someone underneath, while that would pancake someone purely because it’s to short.
The goal posts would probably work well for me. I don't do anything around here that would result in a complete rollover. What I tackle with my tractors and the speeds I go would likely just result in the tractor ending up on its side at worst. Obviously that wouldn't be good either but better than the alternative. The only thing I do that might be an issue at all is mow a section of ditch bank that is about 30 deg for a hundred feet or so. I have the wheels in the wide position and I go really slow and if it somehow did tip over it wouldn't be very violent. I don't care to test that hypothesis though.

Gave myself quite a thrill one day backing up with a 40 HP IH tractor loader. I was in a hurry loading a road sander in a gravel pit the County owned. I was backing up pretty fast and turned sharply to swing around and line the bucket up with the sander box. Went up on 2 wheels and balanced there few seconds. That was 40 years ago but I can still vividly recall the seat of my pants telling me I was teetering right on the edge of rolling/not rolling. Just a tad more momentum and it would have gone badly. I was alone at the pit too. Nobody would have likely come looking for me for a while. Never did that again.

That particular sander was a stupid design. The plow/sander equipment company only made a few of them. It was a single axle International. The hoist lifted the box up at the back instead of the front so the sand would slide forward to where the chute and spinner were located. Near the end of the sanding run the back of the box would be sticking up in the air on about a 45 deg angle.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Thought I better slip my 214 big tractor wanna-be in here. Has 400 front wheels/tires, rear tires are off a 400 and the rear wheels are from a 420. Steering wheel and seat are off a 400 too. Also the hubcaps.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Thought I better slip my 214 big tractor wanna-be in here. Has 400 front wheels/tires, rear tires are off a 400 and the rear wheels are from a 420. Steering wheel and seat are off a 400 too. Also the hubcaps.
View attachment 268779
I’ll let it slide😉 nice tractor!

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I occasionally think about also putting a K532 from a 400 in that 214. Or maybe a Predator twin. If I can make one fit with the side covers on I would immediately apply for certification as a gynecologist. There's good money to be made in that profession. (y)

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Per Skwirl’s request, here’s a picture of Joe Shmoe from 20 years ago’s handiwork for the 1050 seat!

F1616DD8-40B0-4C1E-8D99-6DF485C111CC.jpeg

This is the only thing holding on the seat! If anyone’s got a seat diagram I’d love to know. This is something I’d like to fix

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
Yes, you heard that right, wired it!
When I read this I was not sure what you meant. The picture tells the story, yes, definitely wired! Some people are so freakin lazy!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts