Weekend Freedom Machines banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Could not turn done a low cost 1977 300 with model 49 snow thrower.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Sold the 78 316K and bought a 1979 317 which soon became my money pit tractor.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Lawn mower Riding mower
As purchased and restored photos.

I bought three other parts 317's to collect H2 hydraulic systems and Brantly power steering units.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Needed to upgrade so I bought a 1991, restored tractor, mower deck, and a model 49 snow thrower with hydraulic chute. Also added a bagger. Neighbor really liked it so I sold him the complete setup.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Riding mower Tractor Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Tread Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Tire Plant Window Motor vehicle Wheel Wheel Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Yellow
Still needed a 318 so added this 1986 618. Still have it and use it as my quik=hitch machine. I have broom, blade, and model 47 snowblower for tractor.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tractor Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Went to Michigan to buy a 140 and model 49 snow thrower. Made the mistake of taking my big trailer. Didn't buy the 140 but came home with 318, 420, and model 49. All are currently in restoration stage. 318 ran when I bought them but the 420 did not. the 318 is a 1985 and the 420 is a 1988.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Everybody needs a loader tractor. Bought this 1987 332 and added a model 44 loader. I did not use it enough so separated and sold loader then the tractor. Biggest mistake I made with my tractor collection. Perfectly matched pair; wonderful machine.
Tire Wheel Riding mower Lawn mower Vehicle Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle
So I bought another 332 with CTC loader. Both tractor and loader need attention to make it as good as the first one I had. Tractor had model 30 tiller when bought. Did not need so sold tiller.
Hood Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Plant Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Thanks, Gabby, I had my wife read your posts. It didn't have the effect I was looking for.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Morning Joe. This became my hobby (addiction) after I retired from Deere. I am not married. Will stop there.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hey Gabby thanks for sharing! So many cool tractors there. That 420 looks pretty good. And the 332 with the loader is awesome

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Hey Gabby thanks for sharing! So many cool tractors there. That 420 looks pretty good. And the 332 with the loader is awesome
It is definitely an addiction. I am beginning to get tractors cleaned up so they can be sold. No one needs that many tractors.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
It is definitely an addiction. I am beginning to get tractors cleaned up so they can be sold. No one needs that many tractors.
You probably already know about this, but did that 420 have a 3 point at any time? If so, you may want to pull a wheel and check out the frame bolts to the tranny. My 430’s frame flange was pretty much gone on both sides.
Brown Wood Fixture Gas Tints and shades

Here’s the fix I did for it
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Machine

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a 420 yet. But here's where I'm at with my latest fresh from the blaster. I'm reluctant to post any photos of what I started with as you folks will think I'm completely nut. Probably do already. Talk about an addiction. Like so many others, I bought it for parts. Right!

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Just fitting up the rear axle and deciding what to do to improve the frame and case cracking issues. Now's the time to do something with it.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Gas Machine

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
You probably already know about this, but did that 420 have a 3 point at any time? If so, you may want to pull a wheel and check out the frame bolts to the tranny. My 430’s frame flange was pretty much gone on both sides. View attachment 270344
Here’s the fix I did for it View attachment 270345
Talk about timing! You posted this as I was writing about the same subject. This is exactly what I want to eliminate. Or, at least try.

To add, this tractor had the rear case torn up pretty bad. I don't believe there ever was a three-point on it. fortunately, the frame was in good condition. But in searching for a case, I've learned this is not uncommon at all. The larger recyclers have come to learn this and usually won't sell a rear axle without a thorough inspection first. Apparently, the front case mounts have a lot to do with this and it has been changed since the earliest models.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
My 420 did not appear to have had a 3ph installed. I believe I have already removed rear drums and gets brakes/differential hardware.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a 420 yet. But here's where I'm at with my latest fresh from the blaster. I'm reluctant to post any photos of what I started with as you folks will think I'm completely nut. Probably do already. Talk about an addiction. Like so many others, I bought it for parts. Right!

View attachment 270341

Just fitting up the rear axle and deciding what to do to improve the frame and case cracking issues. Now's the time to do something with it.

View attachment 270343
Awesome project there! looking good already.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Talk about timing! You posted this as I was writing about the same subject. This is exactly what I want to eliminate. Or, at least try.

To add, this tractor had the rear case torn up pretty bad. I don't believe there ever was a three-point on it. fortunately, the frame was in good condition. But in searching for a case, I've learned this is not uncommon at all. The larger recyclers have come to learn this and usually won't sell a rear axle without a thorough inspection first. Apparently, the front case mounts have a lot to do with this and it has been changed since the earliest models.
I'm not as educated on the 420 as the 430, but I do know that the first year production 430s (1984) had two bolts through the cross member into the tranny. It didn't allow enough flexing, and it could literally crack the hydrostatic (though I saw an old forum post where someone re welded the crack using a mig!). In 85, Deere made a conversion kit for it, so it would only have one bolt going to the tranny (which after that came standard). What year is that 420? Perhaps it had two bolts going to the tranny?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I'm not as educated on the 420 as the 430, but I do know that the first year production 430s (1984) had two bolts through the cross member into the tranny. It didn't allow enough flexing, and it could literally crack the hydrostatic (though I saw an old forum post where someone re welded the crack using a mig!). In 85, Deere made a conversion kit for it, so it would only have one bolt going to the tranny (which after that came standard). What year is that 420? Perhaps it had two bolts going to the tranny?
As far as I can tell its a 1991 which if true is as new as they come. All I could read is the 111 after the "X". Until I know differently, that's what I'm matching things up with. Now keep in mind that I converted a 318 case to replace the damaged 430. The cross angle of the front mount does have two holes and as pf right now I have installed bolts in both. Question is, did Deere continue to use the same cross mount in the later machines? With two holes? Like a dummy, I already tossed the old case and I can't recall how this was mounted.
The parts manual isn't real clear with this.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
As far as I can tell its a 1991 which if true is as new as they come. All I could read is the 111 after the "X" and I'm not sure abo0ut the third 1. Until I know differently, that's what I'm matching things up with. Now keep in mind that I converted a 318 case to replace the damaged 430. The cross angle of the front mount does have two holes and as pf right now I have installed bolts in both. Question is, did Deere continue to use the same cross mount in the later machines? With two holes? Like a dummy, I already tossed the old case and I can't recall how this was mounted.
The parts manual isn't real clear with this.
UPDATE: After looking over the Service manual, I see what they did and why. Funny thing is, the brace has both holes (one slotted) and I do have a shoulder bolt that until now I had no idea what it was for. And it fits. I guess perhaps the rear end was serviced at some time and they installed the update which may explain it. The manual only states "in later models". No SN cutoff.

I'm sure glad I caught that thanks to you. But now I'm questioning the model year. So far, everything else matched but I'm not that far along.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a shot of my John Deere 330 that I fixed up this spring. Had some trouble with the lift pump and injection system leaking but thanks to this site I was able to read and get the parts I needed. It cleaned up nicely and I added dual brakes from a 318. I've put about 12 hours on it this summer and it's been great! Huge upgrade from the LT133 I had in the past. This machine has been the prefect compliment to my 3035D compact tractor.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Riding mower

·
Registered
222 Posts
Went to Michigan to buy a 140 and model 49 snow thrower. Made the mistake of taking my big trailer. Didn't buy the 140 but came home with 318, 420, and model 49. All are currently in restoration stage. 318 ran when I bought them but the 420 did not. the 318 is a 1985 and the 420 is a 1988.
View attachment 270327 View attachment 270328 View attachment 270329 View attachment 270330 View attachment 270331
One of two things go through your head when you leave for a trip like that.
#1 I am only getting what I came for, I'm taking the small trailer.......................
#2 Well just in case #1 isn't true, I'll take the BIG trailer so I have room. You know cause, you never know what kind of deal could pop up.

Don't try and tell us stories. You knew what he had before you left. THUS the BIG trailer. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Here's a shot of my John Deere 330 that I fixed up this spring. Had some trouble with the lift pump and injection system leaking but thanks to this site I was able to read and get the parts I needed. It cleaned up nicely and I added dual brakes from a 318. I've put about 12 hours on it this summer and it's been great! Huge upgrade from the LT133 I had in the past. This machine has been the prefect compliment to my 3035D compact tractor.

View attachment 270347
Sweet 330!

Reactions: Banditjeep
121 - 140 of 168 Posts