Weekend Freedom Machines banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
UPDATE: After looking over the Service manual, I see what they did and why. Funny thing is, the brace has both holes (one slotted) and I do have a shoulder bolt that until now I had no idea what it was for. And it fits. I guess perhaps the rear end was serviced at some time and they installed the update which may explain it. The manual only states "in later models". No SN cutoff.

I'm sure glad I caught that thanks to you. But now I'm questioning the model year. So far, everything else matched but I'm not that far along.
I can’t remember if my 430 from 87 has the other hole or not. Though I do know that the bolt has a lock washer on it, and when the flange was broken, it backed pretty far off the threads.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Jetjoe, Could you show a picture of the serial number (or what’s left of it) tag? I’ve noticed that after ~88-89 Deere changes the font/print of the tractor and serial number. Maybe that could help discern what year it is better.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
One of two things go through your head when you leave for a trip like that.
#1 I am only getting what I came for, I'm taking the small trailer.......................
#2 Well just in case #1 isn't true, I'll take the BIG trailer so I have room. You know cause, you never know what kind of deal could pop up.

Don't try and tell us stories. You knew what he had before you left. THUS the BIG trailer. :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely correct Mopar. I knew he had the 318 and 420 before I left Wisconsin. Even took extra cash with me to pay for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post here, but just wanted to show mine, recently picked up. went through and changed engine and trans fluid along with filters. new spark plugs, she runs great! looks to be original paint and tires? Also came with 46 inch deck, i just had it off for cleaning.

I need to figure out adjusting the carb, throttle doesn't make much difference from low to high idle.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Tractor

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
First post here, but just wanted to show mine, recently picked up. went through and changed engine and trans fluid along with filters. new spark plugs, she runs great! looks to be original paint and tires? Also came with 46 inch deck, i just had it off for cleaning.

I need to figure out adjusting the carb, throttle doesn't make much difference from low to high idle.

View attachment 270390

View attachment 270391

View attachment 270392
Welcome to WFM! Awesome 322. The rear tires look original

Reactions: buildfunction

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Sorry, I didn't catch that you are a new member. Welcome ... Gabby

Reactions: buildfunction

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here is a photo of my 332's. They were both 1987 models with 850 and 1120 hours respectfully. I am the second owner for both. When I bought the second 332, as the owner was handing me the Operator's Manuals, she said: Now look, only my Dad, my Mom, and I have ever driven this tractor since Dad brought it home new. You BETTER TAKE CARE OF IT! In the Operator's Manual was the original receipt for the tractor. The guy even filled out the maintenance record!

One has the original paint on the tractor, the other has my rattle can paint job. I have a 49 snow blower, rear weight bracket with JD 6 weights as well.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Riding mower Green
Yellow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Vehicle

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Here is a photo of my 332's. They were both 1987 models with 850 and 1120 hours respectfully. I am the second owner for both. When I bought the second 332, as the owner was handing me the Operator's Manuals, she said: Now look, only my Dad, my Mom, and I have ever driven this tractor since Dad brought it home new. You BETTER TAKE CARE OF IT! In the Operator's Manual was the original receipt for the tractor. The guy even filled out the maintenance record!

One has the original paint on the tractor, the other has my rattle can paint job. I have a 49 snow blower, rear weight bracket with JD 6 weights as well. View attachment 270396 View attachment 270397
Very nice machines. I really appreciate seeing this kind of attention to detail. I'll be honest, I can't tell which one you painted. But very nice work on the blower. I hope you get to use these once in a while.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·

One has the original paint on the tractor, the other has my rattle can paint job. I have a 49 snow blower, rear weight bracket with JD 6 weights as well. View attachment 270396 View attachment 270397
Geez o man are those beautiful! Those 332s are awesome. And pretty low hours, they still have a lot of life left (my 430 has 2603hrs)!

·
Registered
281 Posts

Welcome. FYI the front tires are not original. Tread should match the rear tires.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Welcome. FYI the front tires are not original. Tread should match the rear tires.
Yeah, the original Goodyears have a quite distinct tread pattern

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Jetjoe, Could you show a picture of the serial number (or what’s left of it) tag? I’ve noticed that after ~88-89 Deere changes the font/print of the tractor and serial number. Maybe that could help discern what year it is better.
I got the parts back from the blaster last night and the tower was part of the job. There is nothing left of the SN tag now. That wasn't too smart on my part but I never gave it a thought. It was unreadable anyway. Half gone. But I don't feel a lack of a serial number should render the machine as "parts only". Although it was close. It would have been nice if Deere would have stamped the frame or something other than the decal mounted on a piece that's easily replaced.

I'm trying to narrow it down by looking in the parts and service manuals. All they generally refer to in the service manual is early vs, later. Not much help. It has a 5 port steering column so that narrows it down a little. I'm trying to figure it out by the style of trans controls in the tower but there are five different versions in the 420. Two are very similar. But, again Deere is not much help as they only publish the start of a serial sequence. When that version of a part was introduced.

I'm not all that worried about it. I've got everything and so far I haven't found any specific part that requires a serial number. The photos in the parts book are pretty good depictions of each item. I'll get it as close as possible and if the day ever comes to sell it, I'll just have to do some honest explaining.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I got the parts back from the blaster last night and the tower was part of the job. There is nothing left of the SN tag now. That wasn't too smart on my part but I never gave it a thought. It was unreadable anyway. Half gone. But I don't feel a lack of a serial number should render the machine as "parts only". Although it was close. It would have been nice if Deere would have stamped the frame or something other than the decal mounted on a piece that's easily replaced.

I'm trying to narrow it down by looking in the parts and service manuals. All they generally refer to in the service manual is early vs, later. Not much help. It has a 5 port steering column so that narrows it down a little. I'm trying to figure it out by the style of trans controls in the tower but there are five different versions in the 420. Two are very similar. But, again Deere is not much help as they only publish the start of a serial sequence. When that version of a part was introduced.

I'm not all that worried about it. I've got everything and so far I haven't found any specific part that requires a serial number. The photos in the parts book are pretty good depictions of each item. I'll get it as close as possible and if the day ever comes to sell it, I'll just have to do some honest explaining.
Sounds good (rip serial number tag). If you’d like, send a picture of your hydro control, and I can kinda compare to my 430 if you’d like.👍 You should make a post about the progress of this 420!

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Sounds good (rip serial number tag). If you’d like, send a picture of your hydro control, and I can kinda compare to my 430 if you’d like.👍 You should make a post about the progress of this 420!
I thought I would wait until the very end to start posting. Some of these seem to go on endlessly. And, I'm likely to have shoulder surgery in the next few weeks and that will put a halt to both the project and any posts here. I hate hunting and pecking on the keyboard.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought I would wait until the very end to start posting. Some of these seem to go on endlessly. And, I'm likely to have shoulder surgery in the next few weeks and that will put a halt to both the project and any posts here. I hate hunting and pecking on the keyboard.
been there done the shoulder surgeries, my son just had it done. It sucks................

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Sounds good. I hope your shoulder surgery goes well(y)

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
been there done the shoulder surgeries, my son just had it done. It sucks................
I know. And I still have not committed to it in my mind. The shoulder does hurt but I'm not incapacitated by it. I'm not the type to sit around doing nothing for six weeks followed by months of therapy. And at 75, well you just don't know what else is around the corner. Might want that time back. Not to mention some times they do more harm than good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
In post 145, it sure looked like the return vent line from the hydro is leading to air and contamination rather than plugged into top area of hydro. Someone tell me I'm wrong?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
In post 145, it sure looked like the return vent line from the hydro is leading to air and contamination rather than plugged into top area of hydro. Someone tell me I'm wrong? View attachment 270445
Just went back and looked at it, and it does look like that

141 - 160 of 168 Posts