Weekend Freedom Machines banner
161 - 180 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I thought I would wait until the very end to start posting. Some of these seem to go on endlessly. And, I'm likely to have shoulder surgery in the next few weeks and that will put a halt to both the project and any posts here. I hate hunting and pecking on the keyboard.
I know. And I still have not committed to it in my mind. The shoulder does hurt but I'm not incapacitated by it. I'm not the type to sit around doing nothing for six weeks followed by months of therapy. And at 75, well you just don't know what else is around the corner. Might want that time back. Not to mention some times they do more harm than good.
Wish you the best of luck when/if you do it.

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
That's right. May have been left like that accidently. Unplugging at the back fitting or sight glass makes refilling with new fluid easier/faster...it has a vent. PO may have forgotten to reconnect it, or just been lazy...hard to reach that back fitting if fender pan is on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you have the time, and the patience, contact your local John Deere dealer with the engine serial number and ask for a replacement tractor PIN (Product Information Number). The new PIN decal will indicate "Replacement" on it. IT IS NOT A FAST PROCESS.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
If you have the time, and the patience, contact your local John Deere dealer with the engine serial number and ask for a replacement tractor PIN (Product Information Number). The new PIN decal will indicate "Replacement" on it. IT IS NOT A FAST PROCESS.
Good idea!

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
In post 145, it sure looked like the return vent line from the hydro is leading to air and contamination rather than plugged into top area of hydro. Someone tell me I'm wrong? View attachment 270445
I noticed that too. But I do my share of criticizing and I thought I would let this one go. What you say is correct. If it is in fact the sight tube hanging there. But I doubt it would cause a major issue as the fluid in that line is pretty much static. It would be a good idea to connect it up though. Easy enough to do. I think I would suck a little bit of fluid out just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
If you're referring to my dilemma, and I think you are, I intend to do that. But for now, I'm waiting to hear from the last owner. Hopefully, he knows the number. It would be nice to have the exact SN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that too. But I do my share of criticizing and I thought I would let this one go. What you say is correct. If it is in fact the sight tube hanging there. But I doubt it would cause a major issue as the fluid in that line is pretty much static. It would be a good idea to connect it up though. Easy enough to do. I think I would suck a little bit of fluid out just to be on the safe side.
It is connected now, it was like that when i bought it. but aside from maybe some dirt getting in it shouldn't hurt anything. the fluid looks okay when i put in new fluid.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
It is connected now, it was like that when i bought it. but aside from maybe some dirt getting in it shouldn't hurt anything. the fluid looks okay when i put in new fluid.
Nice save. I keep an eye on mine in case it splits or pops off. And if the fluid looks fine, I wouldn’t care.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
When I first started this thread, I had just started the 430 project. Well I’m pretty much finished with the tractor, and only have a couple little things to do with it! Finally gave her a good bath, and she’s looking pretty good.
Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle

I’m sure I’ll have little problems in the future (it’s a 34 year old tractor for pete’s sake!) but you can be sure I’ll be posting them on here! Thank you all for your help through all the threads I’ve made for this!! SuperSherman44

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
When I first started this thread, I had just started the 430 project. Well I’m pretty much finished with the tractor, and only have a couple little things to do with it! Finally gave her a good bath, and she’s looking pretty good. View attachment 271291

I’m sure I’ll have little problems in the future (it’s a 34 year old tractor for pete’s sake!) but you can be sure I’ll be posting them on here! Thank you all for your help through all the threads I’ve made for this!! SuperSherman44
Nice job. What a beast! I have a question about the exhaust. I see a lot of guys installing those "rain gauge" verticle mufflers and often wondered if the engine was designed to hold up all of that weight and stress? That's a lot of stuff hanging out on a very long arm. Running over rough terrain would seem to put a lot of stress on things. Just curious. But you should put one of those flipper lids on in case you accidentally leave it in the rain.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice job. What a beast! I have a question about the exhaust. I see a lot of guys installing those "rain gauge" verticle mufflers and often wondered if the engine was designed to hold up all of that weight and stress? That's a lot of stuff hanging out on a very long arm. Running over rough terrain would seem to put a lot of stress on things. Just curious. But you should put one of those flipper lids on in case you accidentally leave it in the rain.
Sherman had a few posts up about how he braced the exhaust. He ran the brace off the front of the engine and clamped it to the pipe.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Thanks Joe! Putting a flapper/curve on the muffler is one of the things I still have to do. Like Mopar said, I made a (hopefully lol) informative thread about the stack and my “journey” of doing it. But to answer your question, I put a mount on it to stop the vibration/shakiness. I put the mount on one of the engine mount nuts so it would vibrate with the engine and not break it.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Plowed three gardens plowed today. View attachment 273070
Nice 318 Jeff! I noticed you have a diff lock and a 2 speed hydro, that's really nice. Did you install them yourself? Also, whats the little silver piece of metal going over the side pedestal grill?

·
Registered
876 Posts
That’s a great two bottom! Did you build it?
Do I see a diff lock lever on that foot board?
Nice 318 Jeff! I noticed you have a diff lock and a 2 speed hydro, that's really nice. Did you install them yourself? Also, whats the little silver piece of metal going over the side pedestal grill?
A friend built the plow for me. I did the 2 speed/diff lock swap in spring of 2013.

The silver metal piece is my homemade snow thrower bracket for the chute rotation bracket.

The 318 also has deluxe seat suspension, H3, rear hydraulics, 2000 pto, and probably more stuff I have forgotten.
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Jeff, Nicely rigged 318 you have there :) I will be building a 318 soon. What do you use the rear 2000 PTO for? I noticed both switches on the dash as well as the mud putty knife lol. Those rear tires look pretty aggressive. What kind are they, what size and do you ever have to lock the rears while pulling that twin plow. Oh yeah H3 would come in very handy with that rear hydro operated upper 3pt arm. Looks like a lean mean working machine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thought this was too good to not take a pic of lol.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Plant

161 - 180 of 284 Posts