Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Powder coat removal

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  TomManson 
#1 ·
I have a couple 48 decks about half the powder coat is off and the rest is rusty, What would be the best way to get all of the powder coat off?

#4 ·
In my experience powdercoat is so hard that it resists normal sandblast, sanding/grinding with flapper wheel cuts through it.

#6 ·
Aircraft stripper works pretty well. Nothing short of dipping works very well. Keep in mind it's more plastic than paint. It tends to be not very cost effective to hire it sandblasted. Sandblasters hate powder coatings. If you blast yourself, it will take extra time and extra sand, it will come off. If you blast it yourself, I'd try to use a flapwheel first. At least get the layer of coating a little thinner to help with the blasting.

#9 ·
I've never powder coated anything. There were times that was the best option but I always think about it peeling off later. I'd rather re-finish something again than deal with that. It's just a personal preference though. Also I don't have a powder coating setup and I do my own refinishing. No jobbing anything out.

#13 ·
Powder coating requires good clean prep and off gassing of some metals. Like painting, good prep is the key.

Screwing up the new coating is a giant pain. We are pretty careful with the prep work. Somethings can be fixed. I always try to fix the problem before I try to take the coating off.

#10 ·
My personal experience is.. if the nozzle is held on an angle relative to the surface being blasted the sand will will bounce off powder coated parts like they're covered with rubber. And if you hit it straight on it will heat up and if the metal is thin enough it will warp and deform.

#16 ·
That aircraft stripper is nasty stuff. Don’t get it on you!! I use super heavy long rubber gloves. If you go thin it evaporates and the paint or powder resets a little so I go pretty heavy with that jelly. I stripped lots of saw cases with it but it helped a lot if I sanded, blasted and scraped before the stripper to weaken the coat.

#18 ·
I just learned that you cannot buy those just anywhere. They are an online direct order company so you order direct from them or from Amazon if you feel like contributing more to Amazon's bottom line. If you sign up on their website they do give a first order discount, not sure how much the discount is.

#20 ·
Good point, I prefer to go with what works as opposed to experimenting. I have had other brands of 'flap wheel sanders' that work so-so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.