Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned up my old 54" blade by sandblasting and powdercoating, new hydraulic lines, most hardware, a heavy hitch cutting edge and a set of decals.

A tip:
I wish i had known ahead of time to leave bolts and pins in their holes as powder coating leaves a very thick coat and will need to be drilled out later

Yellow Bumper Gas Asphalt Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Bumper

· Registered
130 Posts
That thing looks just like new! 👍🏻
I just bought a 54” for my 140 that needs to be cleaned up. How does powder coating compare price wise to an enamel paint job? I believe that powder coating is more durable.
It looks like you used aircraft fasteners on the cutting edge?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That thing looks just like new! 👍🏻
I just bought a 54” for my 140 that needs to be cleaned up. How does powder coating compare price wise to an enamel paint job? I believe that powder coating is more durable.
It looks like you used aircraft fasteners on the cutting edge?
It was fairly expensive to have it blasted and coated...$700. The cutting edge is fastened with stainless bolts that come with the cutting edge

· Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
It was fairly expensive to have it blasted and coated...$700. The cutting edge is fastened with stainless bolts that come with the cutting edge
Holy cow, I don't charge nearly enough! Is the coating just the yellow or did they put clear on it also?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Looks amazing! When I did saws I used tapered plugs and tape from Eastwood to plug the threads and cover mating surfaces. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Cleaned up my old 54" blade by sandblasting and powdercoating, new hydraulic lines, most hardware, a heavy hitch cutting edge and a set of decals.

A tip:
I wish i had known ahead of time to leave bolts and pins in their holes as powder coating leaves a very thick coat and will need to be drilled out later

View attachment 287909 View attachment 287910

· Registered
39 Posts
Powder coat looks nice and all but in my experience once it gets one chip all of it starts falling off. Like the running boards on my dad’s truck, all the paint fell off after it got one small stone chip. Just my 2¢.
-Tommy
Car Vehicle Truck Hood Automotive tire
l

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If this is for actual use as opposed to a display or museum piece, I'd be curious to see how the powder holds up. I've often wondered if there would be a problem with chipping or flaking.
My son(10yrs) will use it sparingly on my 430....more for fun. I use my 2025r for snow removal.

I'll post pics after it gets used for a bit.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

· Registered
768 Posts
It looks great . I would fear if you had to " drill out " any holes because of paint thickness that's where rust/flaking will begin . Maybe if you spray those areas with Fluid Film or similar you can keep the rust at bay . Good luck

· Registered
943 Posts
Powdercoating when properly applied is very durable and does not flake or chip easily. The surface it is applied to should be sandblasted to rough surface up enough for proper adhesion. Very difficult to remove as well.

· Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
If you care for the chips it won't spread. Clean and paint any chips you see and it will be fine for a long long time. The normal standard for salt spray on powder is 10,000 hours.
If you don't touch up chipped paint the same thing happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts