Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'd like to possibly put power steering on my 314. I have the PS valve and the cylinder but was wondering if I should run a line from the hyd. valve to the PS valve or to the PS valve then to the hyd valve. Or maybe I should run a whole new line. Any help would be nice. Thanks Eric Tenney

· Premium Member
10,518 Posts
Eric,

There are hydraulic schematics and descriptions in the TM1590 for the 318 if you still have a copy of that for your other tractor that you had. Here is a part of it showing the 4 port steering valve:

Pressure comes to the steering valve first and then on to the lift cylinder and ports. Hope it helps a bit...

Chuck

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't quite follow it but I'm glad you said what you did in the last paragraph. Thats my main question which comes first the PS valve or the hyd valve. Thanks Chuck. Now I need to find a longer steering shaft for my PS valve so i can mount it down where the other ones is

· Premium Member
10,518 Posts
Eric,

Here is the larger view of the early 318 hydraulic system including the power steering (upper left), the hydrostatic transmission and pump (lower left) and the two hydraulic valves, the ports and rockshaft cylinder on the right. Even the optional rear port pair is shown...

...and the later 5 port steering system is shown in this diagram:

Please note that in the case of the 5 port on the later tractors, the pressure goes to the steering valve first, but on the 4 port it goes to the hydro levers first...in effect the older tractors had the levers and the steering 'wired' in series, whereas the later tractors had them 'wired' in parallel. More info is in the TM1590 section 270.

Chuck

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Roy, I sort of figured thats the way to run the line was from the PS to the hyd valve but wanted to make sure. Now I need to start doing measurements. I do know that it will turn a lot shorter with PS on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.