Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Proper mount position of AM39311 Hyd Oil Cooler?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ShopRat 
#1 ·
I'm repowering my 318 with the 23 Hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard kit from Small Engine Warehouse.

Everything is going pretty well, but I am replacing all of the fuel and flexible hydraulic lines while I've got everything dismantled. I disconnected the AM39311 Hydraulic Oil Cooler from the firewall so I could install new mylar faced insulation (from John Lange). I removed the Hyd Oil Cooler while the firewall was still in the tractor and I didn't take note of which holes on the firewall clips the AM39900 clamps holding the cooler were bolted into.

Now I'm reassembling it, and I can't seem to figure out which holes in the firewall the two bottom bolts should be in. The cooler seems to be too wide for both lower bolts to go into the narrower set of holes, yet when I mount the bolts in the wider set of holes, it spreads the cooler enough I'm concerned things will start to crack eventually. The parts diagrams and technical service manual don't seem to mention this. I thought about going narrow on one side, and wide on the other but IMHO that would make the cooler off center. I figured I better ask the experts!

#2 ·
I got to first start on my 18Hp repower from SEW last night! But first, I looked at my oil cooler mounts (too far reassembled to take pictures), on a 1983 318, that has never had the oil cooler removed, that I know of. Depending on how far you disassembled, the clamps go on the bottom inner forward tubes coming out of the two finned sections. The clamps are offset foward, pointing in. Sitting in the seat, the right side clamp bolts to the tip of the bracket on the firewall, but the left side bolts farther from the tip, leaving one hole visible. In summary, right side to inner hole, left side to second hole. I don't know why JD did this, but my adapter/driveshaft appears centered between the cooler fins, and there isn't a lot of clearance.
I hope this helps, or you already figured it out. Good luck with the repower!

Dale

P.S. I had an "issue" with a mounting hole not lined up. It appears one of the adapter plates bolted to the bottom of the engine by SEW had slipped. You might want to verify the mounting holes are parallel before you set the new engine in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.