Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I got a late model 455, I just bought it late last year and spent the winter fixing it up. I put the deck on today and tried to run it and it blows number 6 15amp fuse. Here's what I have found so far. I replaced the pto switch, I have found that the seat switch and the reverse switch is gone and jumped. The last guy, when he wanted it to turn on was putting a magnet on the solenoid coil and not using the switch at all. Wow, that's a new one on me. So I replaced the pto solenoid because the coil was just hanging.now, its seams the brake switch is fine, cause it wont start without it depressed. If I pull the pto switch before I turn on the key to run it wont blow. But of course I cant start it because the switch is engaged. But if I start it and pull the switch it blows. I have redone all the safety switch jumper and they seem fine. I'm kinda stumped, I'm not good with a multitester but am will to try if anyone has a starting point

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dear Green - first a couple questions that might help us better understand what's going on.
1. Spell check got your text and changed something to RIO. Maybe you can edit the post with the correct spelling. I'm not sure which switch you meant to write.
2. You said you replaced the SOLENOID - which solenoid did you change out and just curious why you changed it, did it test bad or did it have a visible defect?
3. You say if you pull the switch before you turn on the key - I assume you mean pull the PTO switch. Please explain more about the key position when you do this when the fuse does not blow. Is the ignition key switch in the OFF, RUN or START position after you pull the switch? Are you sitting on the seat when you do this with brake switch depressed as if you are going to start the tractor?
4. When you pull the PTO switch and the fuse does not blow, can you hear anything from the PTO like a click?
5. Have you tried to disconnect the wire connector going to the clutch and then starting the engine and turning on the PTO switch to see if the fuse still blows?

Fuses blow when part of the circuit is overloaded and tries to pull too much current or if a wire has a direct connection to a metal ground like the engine or the tractor frame. The shorted wire could be one of the wires going to your clutch or the actual electromagnet winding of the clutch could be shorted to ground.

Let us know and we will try to help.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
The reverse switch (called RIO for reverse implement operation) was on the later models of the 455. It's purpose was to prevent an operator from backing up as there were injuries from people backing up and accidentally running over someone who was behind the tractor(especially kids who follow to close at times). Most people hated them as it killed the tractor just like if you rose off the seat. It was for the purpose of SAFETY.

But many people did what the previous owner did in this case, remove it. It also got bent causing failure of tractor to start. Another reason to hate it. I think it was changed to kill the PTO and not the tractor.

But in your case, I would start with checking to see if any of the wires are shorted to ground as it happens when you operate the PTO. Also trace the wire following where it goes. You might find another hack the previous owner did.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
220 Posts
The reverse switch (called RIO for reverse implement operation) was on the later models of the 455. It's purpose was to prevent an operator from backing up as there were injuries from people backing up and accidentally running over someone who was behind the tractor(especially kids who follow to close at times). Most people hated them as it killed the tractor just like if you rose off the seat. It was for the purpose of SAFETY.

But many people did what the previous owner did in this case, remove it. It also got bent causing failure of tractor to start. Another reason to hate it. I think it was changed to kill the PTO and not the tractor.

But in your case, I would start with checking to see if any of the wires are shorted to ground as it happens when you operate the PTO. Also trace the wire following where it goes. You might find another hack the previous owner did.
Do you know what years they started adding the RIO to the 4X5 series tractors or was it a safety add-on? I have a 2001 455 and I have always been able to run in forward and reverse without needing to pull up on the PTO switch. I never liked them and was unaware that the 4X5 series had them until a few years ago. I know it is against policy to show people how to go around and jump safety devices but what exactly am I looking for if the wiring was jumped? Would this be located on the tower modules or is it one of the extra plugs there in the tower?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Green - first a couple questions that might help us better understand what's going on.
1. Spell check got your text and changed something to RIO. Maybe you can edit the post with the correct spelling. I'm not sure which switch you meant to write.
2. You said you replaced the SOLENOID - which solenoid did you change out and just curious why you changed it, did it test bad or did it have a visible defect?
3. You say if you pull the switch before you turn on the key - I assume you mean pull the PTO switch. Please explain more about the key position when you do this when the fuse does not blow. Is the ignition key switch in the OFF, RUN or START position after you pull the switch? Are you sitting on the seat when you do this with brake switch depressed as if you are going to start the tractor?
4. When you pull the PTO switch and the fuse does not blow, can you hear anything from the PTO like a click?
5. Have you tried to disconnect the wire connector going to the clutch and then starting the engine and turning on the PTO switch to see if the fuse still blows?

Fuses blow when part of the circuit is overloaded and tries to pull too much current or if a wire has a direct connection to a metal ground like the engine or the tractor frame. The shorted wire could be one of the wires going to your clutch or the actual electromagnet winding of the clutch could be shorted to ground.

Let us know and we will try to help.
Thank you I edited the post, I'm not on the seat when I pull the pto switch and the brake is not depressed. The brake switch is the only switch out of the 3 switches on the pto circuit that is still on the tractor. Seat and reverse are gone and jumped. The tractor starts and all other electrical seams to work. I havent had any problems until I pull the pto switch and blow the fuse. I have recently last night, removed the circuit board and cleaned it and inspected it for burn spots, but didn't see anything. As i stated i talked with the other owner, he claims the pto electrical was giving him problems, so he just attaches a magnet to the coil and places the coil on the shaft when he wants to mow. He claims he didn't jump or remove the safety switches, but he has owned the machine since 2006 and it's a 2000. So not sure weather to believe him or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I found it, it was the brake switch, one side of the brake switch that is for the starting side of it was working. But I had no power coming out for the pto side of it. Replaced the switch and all is good. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Do you know what years they started adding the RIO to the 4X5 series tractors or was it a safety add-on? I have a 2001 455 and I have always been able to run in forward and reverse without needing to pull up on the PTO switch. I never liked them and was unaware that the 4X5 series had them until a few years ago. I know it is against policy to show people how to go around and jump safety devices but what exactly am I looking for if the wiring was jumped? Would this be located on the tower modules or is it one of the extra plugs there in the tower?
1999 serial number starting with 070001

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The RIO is on all tractors with serial numbers above 70000. I believe that changeover occurred in 1999, and my 1999 certainly has the RIO switch. Your 2001 should have it - look under the right hand footboard and you should see it. I will PM you some additional detail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts