Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings: Since my model 100 PTO clutch cup is now bare of friction lining, I called the local JD dealer who informed me that the part AM34790 is not in inventory anywhere in the US. We do have an outstanding JD "junk" yard in Hobart, IN with a HUGE inventory but alas, not one model 100. Does anyone know if the same PTO clutch (cup and cone) for the 100 is used in any other model? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
617 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the upper PTO half (AM34790) is unique to the model 100 as is the bushing (M48701) that mounts in the center of it. However, the lower PTO half is common to the 60, 70 and 100 models. For what it’s worth, I have been running my JD100 for over a decade without even a trace of friction material in the upper PTO section without any slippage. Used PTO’s do show up on eBay from time to time and you can always place an ad in the WFM classifieds section if you feel that yours in not serviceable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Bob and Roger! Of course you are correct. "Where used" returns only the JD 100 for the PTO cup. Bob, great info on the friction material. I fired my JD 100 up with all belts and PTO assembly removed. It still quits when engaging the PTO lever. MUST be the PTO safety switch. I can't wait to check it tonight! Thank you again!
I will patronize WFM supplier if I need the switch. Regards, John Lewis

·
Banned
1 Posts
I recently obtained a model 70 which I have almost completely restored. I have operator’s manual but no parts book. Found a picture on this form of a parts break down but no parts descriptions or numbers. Have a problem with PTO clutch - it does not engage. Disassembled to pack with grease & check adjustment. The upper half appears to have sufficient brake liner material and the lower cone does not seem worn. The shaft restricts the upward travel of the lower cone when attempting to engage the clutch. A prior owner did replace the engine. Is it possible that the upper pulley is not positioned properly?
If anyone has any ideas and/or a pto parts breakdown with numbers and part names, it would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome to the WFM forums, Oz. Go to JDParts.com and do a catalog search on model 100. This will take you to the parts catalog with diagrams and listings. It takes a little time to find your way around the site, but it's free and you just have to register the first time.
At this site you can enter a part number to see if the part has been superceeded and if it is available. Stan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.