I bought an old ser#003122 140 H1 with a blown motor. I found a crankshaft, piston and rod from a member in Maine and reassembled the engine. The only problem I'm having (so far) is trying to get the electric PTO set up right. The driven (outer plate) is in contact with the inner plate at all times. I tried to shim the outer plate out, but that locked up the motor???? What in blue blazes is going on---or a going out of my mind???
Since the last post, I discovered the crankshaft seal wasn't all the way in. That was not the problem. When I tighten the bolt and washer that goes holds the front spacer it locks up the motor. It's gin and tonic time!!!
Thanks to everyone who contributed their expertise to my problem. I had the clutch off and back on 4 times, with lots of head scratching in between. The last time I ground the paint off the mating surface on the block and reinstalled the clutch with a .030 shim between the rotor and the pulley, no lock up and I was able to adjust the air gap. I still don't get it.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Weekend Freedom Machines
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!