Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a JD425 with a rear pto and Cat 0 3 pt hitch.
I would appreciate suggestions regarding pto-driven rotary tillers that will work with this unit.
Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pretty much any Cat 0, 540rpm, 48" tiller will work with the 425. John Deere's, #48, #450 and #550 come to mind. There are several aftermarket offerings for CAT 0 tillers to.

Michael

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Is that 540? It looks like a tractor side 2,000 rpm. Or did Deere not use the standard 540RPM male shaft?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
So they don’t use the standard 540RPM PTO arrangement yet spin at the speed? Did not know that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can use the tiller off of the 400 if you make a yoke with male PTO end. That's what I did with mine to run it on a 455. Works perfect and looks original! The nice thing is you can put it back to original just by sliding the original yoke bake on!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grossyman

How did the tiller work in regard to performance compared to the 400 tractor? As I recall the 400 PTO spins at 840 rpm, somewhat faster than the 540 intended for most tillers. Was the male 6-splined yoke readily available, I once searched around without much luck?

John Deere offers a 7" long or so dual end 6-spline 1-3/8" stub shaft that can be inserted in the tractors female PTO, emulating a more typical male PTO stub at the tractor side. At this juncture any standard 6-spline female PTO driveshaft can be utilized.

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
I W]will get a picture of the tiller shaft on Wednesday for you. For the life of me I cant remember what I bought to make it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts