Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
573 Posts
How do the bearings feel? All but one of them are pretty cheap to replace.

Reactions: 1990 332

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your doing it right now👍🏻 Preventative maintenance. Cleaning, inspecting and gapping. I’ve had a few with small cracks in the potting opening up. I mix up epoxy and smear it in the cracks to reseal being very careful to not get any of it proud of original potting.
Is the potting The red part in the last picture I sent? Is that the area that makes it grenade if not re epoxyd?

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
There is nothing mechanically wrong with the PTO coil you pictured above, and the potting looks just fine... If you measure the coil resistance, do you get something in the range of 3.4 to 4.9 ohms? If so, it is electrically within specs also. Use the PTO as you would if it were brand new as long as the bearings are still serviceable.

You would know if the winding wires were exposed (which happens if the bearings get so bad that the moving parts contact the field coil potting surface) or if it were heavily overheated from an internal short. Neither of these two conditions are evident in any of your pictures...

Here are some photos of what to look for:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas
rubbed wires

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Motor vehicle
overheated

Chuck

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Temp,

Failed PTOs are generally due to lack of maintenance of the bearings causing friction on the potting, or to overheating from an internal short damaging the potting. Either condition can cause the wire to be exposed and if an inattentive owner lets that get so bad that the wires spool off and wrap up like you describe it would make a real mess -- did you get pictures?

Glad you salvaged a good tractor out of it all...

Chuck

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is nothing mechanically wrong with the PTO coil you pictured above, and the potting looks just fine... If you measure the coil resistance, do you get something in the range of 3.4 to 4.9 ohms? If so, it is electrically within specs also. Use the PTO as you would if it were brand new as long as the bearings are still serviceable.

You would know if the winding wires were exposed (which happens if the bearings get so bad that the moving parts contact the field coil potting surface) or if it were heavily overheated from an internal short. Neither of these two conditions are evident in any of your pictures...

View attachment 286605 rubbed wires

View attachment 286606 overheated

Chuck
ok cool

Chuck
[/QUOTE

Chuck
ok cool! I’ll measure the resistance and report back. The inner bearing on the pto doesn’t bind or anything but it doesn’t turn like the outer bearing does. Also there is no side to side play. I’m about to be on my way to Home Depot to buy an orbital sander.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok cool

ok cool! I’ll measure the resistance and report back. The inner bearing on the pto doesn’t bind or anything but it doesn’t turn like the outer bearing does. Also there is no side to side play. I’m about to be on my way to Home Depot to buy an orbital sander.
I’ll be using it for body work too. With that in mind can I get one from Home Depot that will also do body work?

· Registered
2,791 Posts
ok cool

I'm confused. There is only one bearing on a front pto.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts