Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have an old Kemp chipper/shredder. It works great!

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
If you are willing to look you could find one of these Troybilt Super Tomahawks. I bought mine in 1992 and have used it since then. They appear on our local Craig's List 4 or 5 times a year. They are a wood eating animal and I bought mine with the trailer attachment. The tongue for the trailer is laying on top of the machine. The thing I would caution you is even though they work good they are still a lot of work to use. If you use it all day on a Saturday you will sleep well that night. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but Roger, if you get that machine out sometime this year, would you snap a couple pictures of the hitch mounting? I would sure appreciate it, but no hurry. Always have a few tons of sticks to chip but not enough energy when it's 90 degrees.
I have the less super 5HP Tomahawk model, but it seems to be getting heavier as I get older. A tractor can move it easily. That's why we have them, yes!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Tommy I thought I had some pictures with measurements in my Photos and will look some more. If not I will make another set as it is something I should have on my computer anyway. Roger

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
2 picture of another persons home made tow bar on the chipper using round metal. It conncets the same way as the factory chipper. Also several pictures of my factory tow kit. The measurements on it are from when I made pictures before to help another person. Mine is 1 inch square tubing fairly thick wall. Asl if you have more questions. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
What are you planning on chipping with this? These are not like the ones tree removers and ultility companies use. They work good on brush and up to 2 to 3 inch branches. That Troy Bilt Pro may work for you but I have never used one so I really do not know if it is good or not. My wifes friend has one of the newer ones and it is not as good as mine is. Mine was built before Troy Bilt was bought by MTD and in general I think MTD has made a cheaper product than a real Troybilt. Roger

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I wanted to be able to shred 3” or less from around the propert to make mulch. Anything bigger would be used for camp fires and such.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks very much, Roger! That is excellent documentation to reproduce one that will work the first time instead of my usual trial and error system. lol

Wish I could offer some help on the DR chippers. Some of them no doubt do have a "roller feed" mechanism that helps control the amount of material being fed. Very likely the DR website has videos demonstrating the different models. They do advertise on TV too. DR products appear to be high quality and they have been around several years.

The smaller yard style ones like the Troybilt that I use accept smaller twigs, leaves, and such through the large funnel at the top. It has a gang reel of "hammer" like blades that snatch it and beat it into pieces that will exit whatever size screen is being used at the bottom. The small funnel on the side ends at the flywheel which has a few blades, much like a plane, that cuts as you hand feed the larger limbs. The hammer mill inside finishes it. The funnel size controls the maximum size limb that can be fed in.
Needless to say, all of them require full attention and protective face gear as the danger level is high. What ever is stuck in there is gone in a heartbeat!

Let us know what you get and how it works for you.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sounds like you go5 a good deal.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Heck yeah! If I came across a good DR like that for that price, my Tomahawk would have a For Sale sign on it right away. Good catch.

tommyhawk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts