Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first time posting. I have K341 in a John Deere 300. I rebuilt this motor last year. It has ran great on the rebuild. I've mowed with it and tilled the garden this spring. I was mowing the other day and started getting smoke out of the breather. Stopped and started checking things. took the breather apart and checked that it was clear. no problems there. I checked compression and it is sitting between 110 and 120. thats where the service manual says it is supposed to be. I'm stumped as I have no loss of power and good compression. can't figure out why it is leaking oil out the breather and acting like it has positive pressure. Any help on this would be awesome!

·
Administrator
6,162 Posts
I moved this to the correct section. A 300 is considered by this site as "vintage" and not a Late Model. You will get better and more responses in the correct forum than you would in the Late Model section.

·
Administrator
6,162 Posts
I moved to here, which is the Hydrostatic Drive section for vintage tractors.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Might be worth getting a pressure/vac gauge with rubber cork and stick in the dipstick tube and check at idle and full speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I made up a vacumn guage as described in the service manual. I have vacumn. It still smokes out of the breather. No loss of power at all. smokes a little with no load and quite a bit more when the pto is engaged. could worn valve guides or an intake valve not closing all the way cause this? I am really stumped by this and would appreciate any ideas on this. I know there are quite a few guys on here that know these little motors inside and out. thanks guys

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
When you check the oil, as Tom suggested, notice if it smells like gasoline. Also check the hose from the c/c breather to the air filter back plate. If it gets soft and mushy, it can collapse.
Since you say it's smoking from the breather, your engine may not have this hose.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
115 Posts
What oil are you running, and when did you change it last? My K301 smokes a bit out the breather when its hot, if I'm overdue for an oil change. Its an otherwise healthy engine that doesn't use a noticeable amount of oil between changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts