Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to acquire a 38" mower deck as of yet. What I really need is a 42" cut. We farm permanent beds with 42" grass lanes between the 30" wide beds. I can barely squeeze the 46" deck between our plants and the difficulty is compounded because we farm on a substantial slope. We work old reds and old greens and love it, and until we're all forced to drive electric we prefer not to "down grade" to the newer models. Has anyone successfully made mods to any 42" deck to ride under our 316/318s? or is anyone willing to sell or trade me their 38" deck? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
I just looked up EDNFarms and see you are located in Waukesha. Gabby has a stash of mower decks, he is in southwest WI. Tom.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I am over here in SW Wisconsin due east of Dubuque IA. I think I have one small deck but need to see what model it is for. I believe it is for 2XX tractors ... Gabby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh! Gabby, I was just in the middle of direct messaging you. Along with the 38 inch deck idea, would you have any thoughts on possibly modifying a 42 inch that would be set up for mulching. Here's what I'm working with.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Open frame 300 series tractors had 3 deck options, 38", 46", and 50". I am sure I do not have a 38" for these models. The deck I have I believe is a model 41 with I believe is a 39" cut and fits 200 series tractors. I do not think it can be modified to fit a 300 series.

As for 42" mulch option. I bag my grass clippings with a X720. Making something a mulcher typically involves blocking the discharge chute and installing a mulching blade. Also there is a metal strip around the bottom of the deck to keep the clipping from blowing out. Mulching does not work well if grass gets too tall. I fertilize my yard so would need to mow at least twice a week. This is not acceptable to me as I have other things to do.

I think newer small model lawn tractors use a 42" deck but do not know if they are mulching decks or if they can be modified to use on open frame 3XX tractors.

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
There's an old-time member who goes by Woodpecker (real name is Roger), he is in Sharon Wi just south of you. I tried to PM him but I ran into technical problems??? You are in a predicament and these WFM members are great problems solvers. Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not been able to acquire a 38" mower deck as of yet. What I really need is a 42" cut. We farm permanent beds with 42" grass lanes between the 30" wide beds. I can barely squeeze the 46" deck between our plants and the difficulty is compounded because we farm on a substantial slope. We work old reds and old greens and love it, and until we're all forced to drive electric we prefer not to "down grade" to the newer models. Has anyone successfully made mods to any 42" deck to ride under our 316/318s? or is anyone willing to sell or trade me their 38" deck? Thanks for your help!
I,ve got a 38" deck in VA I would trade but the shipping would eat us up. As mulching goes I haven't been able to find a kit for my deck. Can find mulching blades but not the part to block the discharge. May try to make come summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Gao49: Is it a PC1957?
I'm delivering a Potato Digger to the middle of Virginia and then to take of stuff in Yorktown. I begin my journey on Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
ednfarms, my memory of a Model 41 deck may be incorrect, but this is it. A Model 41 is a 38" cut, three blade deck, originally made for the hydrostatic drive 140. It could be used on the next generation of 300 series tractors (closed frame) and probably the open frame 300's like the 316-318 Onan powered tractors.
There would be differences in the draft arm style and probably the mule drive attachment arm lengths to fit different models. Also the primary drive belt length is probably different.
It looks much like the Model 39, 38" cut deck used on the SF and 200 series gear drive tractors, except the double sheave drive pulley is on the center spindle (front) of the deck just like the larger 46" cut model. The gear drive models have the double sheave drive pulley mounted in the rear, independent of the spindles.
To make things challenging, somewhere along the line, Deere decided to use letters and numbers on the ID tag that are different than the understandable Model 39, 41, 47, 48. They began calling them E0661 for instance, and other variations.
Those with better information, please correct or add to the above.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Gao, A discharge chute block/cover is simple to make! Measure opening and get/cut a piece of sheetmatal 1-1/2" higher than the chute opening and about 1/2" wider than the opening. Put sheetmetal in vice and hit with hammer until you've got a decent 90º bend. Transfer existing holes in deck (or make new if no holes). I put screws in from the bottom of the deck and then lockwashers & nuts. Put cover over screws and hold with wingnuts. Any time you don't want to mulch, remove wingnuts (no tools needed!) and cover...done! Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info, that's about what I was thinking of doing.
Hey Gao49: Is it a PC1957?
I'm delivering a Potato Digger to the middle of Virginia and then to take of stuff in Yorktown. I begin my journey on Tuesday.
Not sure of the number but it is on a 322. JD318 guy could tell if it would work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry , I just realized I am on a different forum. You might try the My Tractor Forum where members have a lot of knowledge like members on this forum. One is PA318guy who has had a 318 and now has (3) 322s. Also they have a wanted forum (like here) where you can post an ad.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Any deck for a 322 will work on a 318 or 316 Onan. Also the model 41 deck is indeed a 38 inch cut and I had one on a 317 that passed through my herd once...hangers for sure and maybe the draft arms would have to be changed for use on an open frame tractor like the 316/318. Here is a picture of it unmounted...
41 deck.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If a deck is mounted on a 322, it will also fit a late 316 ('84-'92) and a 318. With a different set of draft arms, it will fit the early 316 ('78). Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So many wonderful ideas have came about since joining onto WFM. I just purchased this 316 at auction and have restored the tractor, I love it and I'm afraid I have the bug. I enjoyed it far too much. Someone before me had done a rebuild on the Onan P218G and man it's runs great. I had only quickly power washed the deck (one day it got all the way up to 34 degrees).

After responding to Gao, I began to go over it and found a 4 inch area in the radius that has just barely "sandblasted" through, just to the left of the front hangers. So I'm not sure if he'd still want to trade. Really taking a look at the deck, there's not that much to it. So I'm sure many of you have had this next thought. "What if I take the spindles, pulleys, and hangers and weld up a Woods or ExMark style deck with the hangers and front spindle placement matching the existing?"

I'm sure someone on WFM has done this and I'm hoping they might share their experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anything can be done but I don't know if it would be worth it. Keep looking there are decks out there. If you're going to be in PA you might try Fulton Mower Salvage in McConnellsburg PA 717 860-4291. Good luck and keep riding GREEN.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts