Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If you have the parts I have a couple decks (47" I believe) that I got when I bought a large Deere collection from a WFM Member. I have tried selling but no takers. Mower decks are not high sale items and anyone with a good supply of them (except dealers) will typically let them go cheap. My asking price is what do you have to trade.

·
Registered
659 Posts
TractorSalesAndParts.com - (219) 942-2242 Hobart, NW IN. Might be worth a shot.

mower_decks_2011 (1).jpg

Photo of a mint condition 322 and 38" mower deck:

105910.jpg

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I will add that the 2-blade 38-inch deck is the bees knees compared to the utility 39 inch, 3 blade deck. I purchased one plus a bagger from an outfit in Iowa and had it shipped south via Fastenal. My second one came with a derelict 214 that I later bought, refitted/restored and sold on to another. Had the second deck cleaned up a little, replaced the deck hangar straps to fit my 322 and got a belt for it and it mows very nicely...and is suitable for use with a bagger or MCS519. Of course if you're just mowing cover grass between beds, cut quality probably won't matter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That is one impressive 322! The hub caps are so shiny, I can see your reflection, BTW, your barn door is open and your zipper is down. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what I'll do with the deck. I WAS considering bolting 2 floating push mower decks onto the track hiders of our Farmall 140, to mow the grass lanes while cultivating the permanent beds. That's a bit much when trying to cultivate close and not run over crop. Our crop is pretty expensive (not MaryJane). So then came the idea of a riding mower, with an attached high boom with drops for full season fert, towing a half full 60 gallon tank. These "hair brain" combination multitask ideas are to try and keep compaction down as much as possible. We're completely beyond organic, so no herbicide or pesticide. That's all mechanical or by hand here.

The 316 is a great conversation starter, especially when people notice the decals actually read JOHN 3:16. I would like to use the 316 in the crops fields but it's looking like I'd need to fab a 42/43" deck for a "one pass" Reality may be another rider. Any ideas are welcomed

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I had an early X304 with the more robust hydrostatic transmission a 42 inch deck and had a mulching plug for it -- that plug was molded of a high impact plastic and served as both an exit block and a baffle to reduce the under deck space so the grass was chopped up a bit finer when using eh mulching blades. I added rear anti-scalp wheels to mine since my grass was anything but flat and the wife was concerned with the cut quality...you may not need to do that in your application. Even a later x300 series would work for you from the look of how flat your field is, and you likely don't need all wheel steer either (ours was great around trees and stonework...)

deck ready to mow with wheel added.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
756 Posts
Open frame 300 series tractors had 3 deck options, 38", 46", and 50". I am sure I do not have a 38" for these models. The deck I have I believe is a model 41 with I believe is a 39" cut and fits 200 series tractors. I do not think it can be modified to fit a 300 series.

As for 42" mulch option. I bag my grass clippings with a X720. Making something a mulcher typically involves blocking the discharge chute and installing a mulching blade. Also there is a metal strip around the bottom of the deck to keep the clipping from blowing out. Mulching does not work well if grass gets too tall. I fertilize my yard so would need to mow at least twice a week. This is not acceptable to me as I have other things to do.

I think newer small model lawn tractors use a 42" deck but do not know if they are mulching decks or if they can be modified to use on open frame 3XX tractors.
Someone on here has converted one of the gear drive decks onto a 3xx.
OP, have you considered an X300 or X500 (Current gen, not the X700 predacessor)? The durability has stayed pretty similar over the years (if anything X300's are heavier than my 185) That or a 110/2 or 210/2/4/6 which commonly have 38" decks?

EDIT: Scratch the X500, they have 48" decks, but the X300 offers a 42" Lawn Tractors | X300 Select Series Tractors | John Deere US

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
A 41 will work on a open frame 316, 318 with different draft and lift arms. A relation of mine had a 318 setup with 41 deck for mowing the local cemetery, it worked perfect for going around and between the headstones. He also used it with a Trac Vac to pickup leaves around his place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Jake: I'm glad you chimed in. A gal on facebook in Illinois has a deck listed for for a fair price, stating it's a 42" deck off of a 316. I've asked her to verify it's a 42" and not a 46" and I am anxiously waiting for a response thinking maybe there was a mistake. I hope I do hear from her, after what you've written, her 42" description may in fact be a 41 that was already setup for a 316. Fingers crossed...

As an aside looking at the X300 X500 X700: I have a 2019 Farm Tractor 4 series with some the luxuries and it's nice. But for non camera cultivating, I bought this butt ugly Farmall 140 offset and since the first ride, every time I get on it my ears touch together on the back of my head because my smile is so big. I have to face it, I love old tractors and I don't have to learn how to code to fix'em.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
EDN, While talking with gal from Facebook, find out WHICH 316 it was mounted on!

Closed frame tractors like the '78 316 have spring pins mounted on the frame and simply holes in the end of the draft arms. Open frame tractors, like the '84-92 316 and the 318 have holes or slots in the frame and spring pins mounted on the draft arms. Probably not a deal breaker if it is in fact a 41" deck, but just another item to address! Bob

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, unfortunately the deck she had for sale was not a 42" as listed, but a 46" and she's corrected the post.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
That's the deck that would fill the bill for him if he's got open-framed tractors, and I think he does. It's the same one I adapted to my JD 322 open-framed tractor, which came with a 50-inch deck that I sold to another guy. All I had to do is refit the deck with the right draft/lift arms and then get the right length belt...which I think was 78 or 80 inches, using the mule drive and draft arms that came with the 50-inch deck. Mows like a champ, smooth cut and has enough push/exhaust that I can use it with the bagger chute and MCS519 trailer without powerflow. I have the same deck on my 212, with different draft/lift arms for the exact same purpose...only I use the Cyclone Rake with the 212. I think I paid something like $450 or thereabouts for the deck and complete rear bagger setup from an outfit in Iowa somewhere, and they shipped it here via Fastenal express. He may be wanting only the 41 deck though, not sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry for the delay. I had to drop off a potato digger in Virginia and had no real way to check this thread while on the road.
thecnik: Thanks for posting the photos!
tmac: Thanks for clarifying.

I'm lucky enough to create/build and sometimes sell specialty farming implements. This site is awesome! Full of opinions, answers and most importantly, IDEAS! After seeing some daylight through the front of my deck, it has made me realize I don't have anything to trade.

I've ran across some The Little Tractor Co. creations and those are some of the coolest things I've ever seen. He's piecing all kinds of things together along with custom fab and DANG IT'S GOOD! So, I'm gonna spend the $121 in metal and 6 hrs. of work to build a Woods style mower deck with the hanging chains to keep the rear discharge from letting the engine suck clipping. Maybe when I get sick of the fender pan getting scratched, I might put some round fenders on it. Who knows what it'll turn in to?

Y'all have made me realize they're "Toys that happen to do Work." and to Have Fun!

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
Well that is an interesting take on the project! Good luck to you, I will check out that little tractor site. Tom

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
I just looked at that site, good Lord that is crazy neat! You don't even need to go look for a loader to fit your tractor, you just build one! Tom

·
Registered
756 Posts
Y'all have made me realize they're "Toys that happen to do Work." and to Have Fun
That they are, that they are.
We’ve even raked 3 acres of hay with the 345 and New Holland 56 Roll-O-Bar rake a few years back, wasn’t a smooth ride (for machine with the huge tongue weight, or the operator) but got her done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Whoooooa!

I had no idea how offset the deck is. I knew a little, but from centerline of tractor to the left edge the 46 deck is 25-3/8"!

Does anyone happen to know the 38 deck left edge to centerline of tractor measurement?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts