Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
No but make sure to keep that offset so it can trim up next to stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If I end up, after all, putting a 38 deck on I'd have to keep the offset to get close enough to the outside of left side wheels. If I end up having to fab a 42" mulching deck, I'd center up, as I'd only be using it to mow the grass lanes in my crop fields.

On second thought! Hmmm... I have a fan assisted bagger for the 46. Can that be put on a 38? Has anyone out there done that? If so, I'd like to know what the protrusions came out to be. If I could get away with that, I would literally be sucking up potential weed seeds out of the fields. It would take 2 passes to cut each grass lane, but dealing with some compaction is a lot better than dealing throwing weed seeds all over the place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
UPDATE: Thanks to all out there for the advice. I ended up finding a guy selling a 2 blade 38" that came off a 216. It had a front mount that fit the 316/318 mule drive. I took measures of the mounting points of the 46" that came with my 316 and mimicked them on the 38". Then, made a few minor adjustments so the 216 bagger chute would clear the rear tire and fit to the 316/318 bag carrier. Since the original deck drive spindle was on front/center blade and now is on the rear of the deck, I've got a whopping 0.5" x 107" long mule drive belt installed. Cranked it up tonight and with fingers crossed, I flipped the PTO switch. IT'S ALIVE... IT'S ALIVE!

Now I'll pull it apart, get some POR 15 on the bottom and some yellow on the top and post pics. Right now 12 inches of snow is covering everything, so I'll have to wait to get it in the field. I'm hoping, with the high lift blades, it'll be enough to bag all the weed seeds when I cut. Again, thanks for the advice and encouragements!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Make sure that the drive belt is a Deere belt or it might eat more belts than grass.
And definitely am going to watch this to see the longevity of the belt driving the off center drive pulley as I do have a 38” deck under my 110 and my 317 is much easier to drive...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You are so spot on! I threw on a temporary Huskee TSC brand belt to test. Deere definitely has it's own belt profile and I'm hoping they have one that length. Also, before I paint, I need to figure out how to test cut with it so I can see if I need any guides for a belt bounce under load. Again I'm very appreciative of the great feedback here!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Good luck at the Deere house. Deere belts often work best, but the price may not. The cheaper blue Kevlar belts at TSC work well, and you may find you can get 3-4 of them for the price of a “correct” Deere belt if one is available. Just sayin...adapt & prevail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good luck at the Deere house. Deere belts often work best, but the price may not. The cheaper blue Kevlar belts at TSC work well, and you may find you can get 3-4 of them for the price of a “correct” Deere belt if one is available. Just sayin...adapt & prevail.
I have had good luck with aftermarket betts rather then the JD belts. The primary belt on my 322 has been on for three years at 1/3rd the cost of Deere belt. I just get the part # and search for it .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey tmac,

I've went through and read some of your past post on various threads and I've got a sneeky suspicion you're a pretty smart guy. I would like to have you on my "go to" list for questions if that's okay. I don't know how many here are actual enthusiasts, just weekend mowers or a few farming operators like me. Any way, I see you have some knowledge and some "know how" to share and would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hey tmac,

I've went through and read some of your past post on various threads and I've got a sneeky suspicion you're a pretty smart guy. I would like to have you on my "go to" list for questions if that's okay. I don't know how many here are actual enthusiasts, just weekend mowers or a few farming operators like me. Any way, I see you have some knowledge and some "know how" to share and would appreciate your input.
Most are the first 2 at the same time, an overly compicated and expensive hobby revolving around mowing the lawn. Lol
Most don’t run machines this small for any “true” farming (unless the 345 moving a couple hay wagons into the barn counts, or tilling a little with the 112) getting into the 2R CUT’s though and there’s a few in GTT that run those as farm tractors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I get that. I'm seeing some different paths for creative farming. Gearing things more toward the homesteading/ off-grid side. Yesterday for example, I thought I had a big enough issue my 1965 Farmall 140, that the cost of converting to an EV would be offset enough to make "cents." Oh, I'm not a racist BTW. I love Green, I love Red, I love Orange and I've even been seen riding some Brown and Yellow too!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I get that. I'm seeing some different paths for creative farming. Gearing things more toward the homesteading/ off-grid side. Yesterday for example, I thought I had a big enough issue my 1965 Farmall 140, that the cost of converting to an EV would be offset enough to make "cents." Oh, I'm not a racist BTW. I love Green, I love Red, I love Orange and I've even been seen riding some Brown and Yellow too!
Definitely like the other colors, in our case Deere GT’s and the new machines being Deere is how it worked out, the tractor was almost the better new orange (Kioti) but Deere prevailed. Old stuff started with the 185 and grew to a numerous Gear drives, a couple other 185’s, and the 345 and 317.
317 and 345 both don’t have decks anymore but still get used as they’re pint sized power, the 345 has the power to snake hay wagons into the barn no problem and they both are great in the lawn and close quarters, field work is the main place they fall short for us, we’ve raked hay with the 345 but it’s hard on it and the operator, so the big Deere and Ford have that fun. But for mowing and tight garden areas it’s easy to see how they shine for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm Tuscarora with a lot of white too. My ancestors and tribe come from NC. I loved it when Kioti opened up in Wilson NC. So I bought a DK4210SE CAB and it's been a Great Deal for the money. A JD equal would be around $18-20K more. But being very forthright, the Kioti customer service is the pits. They are not demanding of their dealers, nor do they talk to them. There is NO direct communication with Kioti for customers and some of the dealers feel they're treated the same way. They have great potential, if they get their act together.

I've said it many times, "the new and fancy tractors with all the comforts is just fine, but when I get on one of the "oldies" my ears touch together behind my head because my smile is sooo big!"

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
I must be living under a rock because I have never heard of Kioti tractors? The dealer up the road from me started selling Mahindra when they lost their JD dealership, I had never heard of Mahindra at that point, when I looked it up it say's they are the best-selling tractor in the world. That Is quite the statement! Tom

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm probably not as smart as you think...but I was listening long ago when Dad told me to feed my head every day and hang out at the library if I wanted to get smarter (after I proved that I could outsmart my smarty-pants older sister). You've already discovered one of the best GT libraries available, frequented by good/knowledgeable folks who are willing to share. But don't limit yourself to one book/shelf...roam around and live the experience. You may have to start buying bigger hats though...feeding your brain stretches your head.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I must be living under a rock because I have never heard of Kioti tractors? The dealer up the road from me started selling Mahindra when they lost their JD dealership, I had never heard of Mahindra at that point, when I looked it up it say's they are the best-selling tractor in the world. That Is quite the statement! Tom
It’s also saying a little less when it’s mainly in India and Asia (and I’ve not heard a lot of good stuff about them). Kioti I believe makes the Bobcat tractors.
And then there’s TYM who make RK tractors among others, and LS who makes Case IH and New Holland machine’s.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The forum and its members have a vast knowledge base. I dont think I've ever seen a thread that the issue wasnt fixed.
One of the best sources of info is the search function. I've had few issues with my tractors and I've found the answers were already posted years ago.
Yeah, I do read a lot.

Reactions: DEERE317
41 - 56 of 56 Posts