Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have recently been taking a '66 Round Fender steering linkage out (and eventually all steering components) and am working on getting a stubborn steering wheel off (anyone know of where to obtain a good steering wheel drive puller?) and noticed an oval oblong-shaped thick black gasket that sits in a oblong shaped metal holder which I think helps prevent leaks when both halves of lower steering gear are bolted together. This gasket is shot, does anyone know of where to find one? Don't think hapcoparts.com has it. Maybe I could make or cut one out of other gasket material. Thank you all for any guidance!

~Charlie B.
Binghamton, NY

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
If that gasket is the same on a square fender,I'd be more then happy to send you a used one.Do you have 3 jaw puller? If so,go to your local tractor supply store and buy a bull ring(goes through the nose of a bull),put that around the steering column,and hook the puller to it and crank....it does help to put a penetrant on for a few days

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Actually Hapco does have it

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
For the gasket I just made one from regular gasket material. Probably took 10 minutes. To get steering wheels off I use a bearing puller from harbor freight and connect the 3 jaw puller to that. Same idea as the bull ring mentioned earlier. I have taken 3 off that way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Grant,
Thanks very much for your reply! I am going to work on the steering wheel today with 2 or 3 different model wheel pullers, if no luck will try the bull ring method! Thank you for the gasket offer, I will see if I can take a pic of the old one (and its similarly-shaped metal housing plate) and see if I can append it here. Will keep you posted, thanks again!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Grant,
LOL I just saw your append that hapcoparts.com does have it. I will try them, but tx for your offer!! Will post again when I have more steering wheel removal status to report. I also see that hapcoparts.com has new steering wheels, but not sure of the quality compared to the original. I will try and go easy on the wheel so that in case the repro is not good I will have the original.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
No problem Charlie,Hapco stuff is generaly good quality stuff,but I have never seen one of there steering wheels

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bill -- thanks I didn't see one on hapcoparts.com so I will try your idea of making one out of a larger piece if gasket material. Also finally got the steering wheel off using overnight tension and a wide and thick metal washer as the bull ring. Thanks again!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Grant,
Good news! Steering wheel finally came off after using overnight tension and borrowed a friend's puller, using a large, thick, wide metal washer underneath as the bull ring. I cut a pizza-shaped wedge in the washer using my cutter tool in order to slip it on the steering column rod underneath the wheel. I will try making a gasket for the lower steering as I can't find one on hapcoparts.com. Thanks again for all your help!

~Charlie B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts