Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
As part of a '66 Round fender restoration I have found after pulling the dash out that these cables are both really dirty and one does not move well. Is some saoking with WD40 enough to cure them or does anyone have any other cleaning suggestions? Thank you for your time!

~Charlie
Binghamton, NY

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Are these the bare steel covers? I sand blasted mine and soaked them in Release-all for a few days and then worked them really good before reinstalling them

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
WD40 is a water displacer and not great at getting through rust

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I soaked mine in PB Blaster and that worked well. I have also pulled out the core and picked up a standard choke cable at out parts store and used that core when the old one was not going to work. The reason I had to separate was the new shield would not screw into the base of the lever. There may be some out there that would work as is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I yanked the wire out 1st, cleaned it with ScotchBrite pad & solvent, and straightened it. Cleaned cable sheath with wire wheel, painted it and put wire back in with a bit of lube. In other words, plenty of ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great suggestions, will try a combo of PB Blaster and GUNK for general cleaning, and WD-40 first for the cable that is not moving well inside the sheath. Luckily the coiled sheathes are not rusty, just all grimed up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts