Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
When I dropped my injectors off at the diesel shop, the counter guy agreed that I would have plenty of time to get them back in before we see any snow... I'm holding him to it. :D

If recent history is a guide, he should be correct.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@Skwirl SOOOOOOOO TRUE! Even gear-head friends of mine just the other day were like "what the heck man, you could buy a brand new tractor and just have one that does everything instead of 2 or 4." To which I respond...and DPFs, and electronics, and software, and so on and so forth (the same reasons none of us have brand new cars :ROFLMAO: ).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
@Skwirl SOOOOOOOO TRUE! Even gear-head friends of mine just the other day were like "what the heck man, you could buy a brand new tractor and just have one that does everything instead of 2 or 4." To which I respond...and DPFs, and electronics, and software, and so on and so forth (the same reasons none of us have brand new cars :ROFLMAO: ).
The same reason when I go to make a repair on one of our jockey trucks, and the driver asks why we brought an old piece of junk. I just look at him and ask him where their new truck is. It’s down. I just smile.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Along with all that stuff, there is the cost of the brand new machine and implements. We would all need at least a 1 series, some guys bigger even to do what we do.
I can buy and fix an awful lot on my 25 or 35 year old tractor till I even get close to the new price.
You are also correct on the emission related items, they are expensive to repair. We have a lot of 6.7 cummins powered vehicles. Dpf and scr systems would great at reducing emissions to almost zero. Till the warning light comes on, then you better sit down. A small nox sensor in the scr is 6 bills.
Its 1 reason I dont complain to much about the price for an injector for my tractors. 180.00 a piece is almost a bargain, lol.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
It's all kind of relative isn't it. My newest car is a 2009, my other 2 are 1999 and 2001, my 1999 is my favorite. I was talking to it ( I do that frequently, kind of reassures them) real nice yesterday while out on a mission, then last night when I got home I went to open the door and the door handle snapped off before the door opened. WTF? This morning I learned it is a common problem on the older 5-series BMW's. It is plastic, imagine that! Replacement part is only $30, plus for right now I can just take the one out from the rear door and use that in the front. Small problems.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Along with all that stuff, there is the cost of the brand new machine and implements. We would all need at least a 1 series, some guys bigger even to do what we do.
I can buy and fix an awful lot on my 25 or 35 year old tractor till I even get close to the new price.
That’s my favorite argument point with the Mrs. When I mention to her that I need to buy a part, she would typically say something about the old junk. So my reply is typically, ok, I need to check our credit score. Then to answer her puzzled face, I explain that the approximately $4,000 I have in my 3 tractors and attachments, would be the equivalent to about $40,000 in a new machine to cover all that. Plus then I would only have one machine that wouldn’t be a “one size fits all”

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dont forget the coolness of having and using a old tractor. People get a confused look when I tell them how old they are and still run and work very good. Their used to the its wore out, scrap it, get a new one mentality.
Like a lot of members on here, I wish I had more storage space, lol. I'd like another tractor.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
333 Posts
Here’s a picture of the 430 with the chains I just got for it
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

I don’t have the plow attached yet, but the chains help a lot hauling carts of wood. All I have to do is get the plow hooked up and I’m good to go with snow!

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
333 Posts
New chains are pretty, they add a little 'bling' to the beast.
They do look pretty shiny, and when they’re going fast, it looks like the tire is silver. The V bars on them are mean!

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I like old chains though. Mostly because I try to maintain them the way my grandfather used to. At the end of the season, he’d lay them out and shoot a fresh coat of yellow on them.

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
333 Posts
I like old chains though. Mostly because I try to maintain them the way my grandfather used to. At the end of the season, he’d lay them out and shoot a fresh coat of yellow on them.
That’s cool. Bet those looked pretty good!

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You mean paint, right?
Not just pee on them, lol.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
Good looking tractor! Also, I like the array of solar panels, are you happy with their performance? Tom

21 - 40 of 107 Posts