Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good looking tractor! Also, I like the array of solar panels, are you happy with their performance? Tom
Can’t complain.

We couldn’t size it to cover our entire bill, but it covers anywhere from 75-90% of it (depending on how many days of clear-ish sky you get). Sometimes, in the summer months, we get a “$0” bill or a small (but worthwhile) credit towards the next months bill.

Basically, it pays for itself and a bit more most months (we are on 0% financing for the system with a 25 year warranty).

We generate power and sell it back to our local utility, so its not “stand alone” solar power. Much more convenient than trying to run the house off a battery bank system. So we draw power from the grid and also sell power back to the utility.

Some guys we talk to are put off that it doesn’t eliminate the power bill AND having to pay the loan back, but they miss the point of it. I explain it this way: Power rates are only going to go up over time. Our system reduces the bill, but more importantly the amount that we pay into the loan is basically locked in instead of the utility being able to raise the rates on the amount of power it generates. Also, as the rates go up, the amount we get paid back goes up right along with it. It’s not about getting “off the grid” as it is reducing the cash we have to lay out. All this and we can take some small satisfaction knowing we’re also reducing our home’s carbon footprint.

We’re also on time of day billing. Our house was built (4 years ago) with an eye towards energy efficiency (insulation, low E glass, etc) so we were ready to go in being more “green”. I’m no tree hugger, but I’m no climate change denier either.

So, the way our utility has it set up is we sell power to the utility at the high rate (day hours) and use it overnight (heated slab home plus water heater on timers) at the low rate. Works out nicely and we always wake up to a warm floor/house in winter. We have never run out of hot water either, no matter how much we use it. Icing on the cake is reduced power bill (net, including paying back the solar panel loan).

Sun is giving us all unlimited free power, you just have to pay for a way to collect it. But it works out on the positive side for us.

YMMV….

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
I am impressed! It sounds like you did your homework. My sister just had a small array installed on her house, the only roof slope was west-facing so it is 'less than optimal'. A nieghbor down the road just had a system installed in his yard on very low-profile racks, makes it easy to go and tweak the tilt as the sun changes it's arc. It is a pretty big system, I have not had a chance to talk to him about it yet. I am in Northern Illinois.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am impressed! It sounds like you did your homework. My sister just had a small array installed on her house, the only roof slope was west-facing so it is 'less than optimal'. A nieghbor down the road just had a system installed in his yard on very low-profile racks, makes it easy to go and tweak the tilt as the sun changes it's arc. It is a pretty big system, I have not had a chance to talk to him about it yet. I am in Northern Illinois.
My array is on the south east facing side. Catches sun as soon as it cracks the horizon until just before dusk. Thats the largest roof surface we have and we intentionally positioned the house to optimize the sun exposure on that roof. Total surface is just a little less than 15’x70’. Pretty big for what it is. But price also reflected the size so you have to suck up the large initial outlay, unless financing works out for you. Zero percent interest made financing a no-brainer for us.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I see everyone is getting tractors ready and some are putting on chains. This might be a good time to start a conversation on tips for easy chain installation. After fighting putting chains on my pickup to plow snow in the midwest in my younger days, a seasoned veteran of driving in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Northern California once shared his secret with me. He said to keep a couple short 2x4's handy and stretch the chains out on the ground over the 2x4's. The 2x4s just need to be a little longer than the tires. Drive the tires up over the chains and safely park on top of the 2x4's.
The 2x4's will keep the edges of the tire up off the ground allowing you to stretch the chains evenly around the edges. If by chance you have to put chains on outside in the snow, it also keeps your tire (and gloves) up out of the cold snow!
Using floor jacks to raise the tires off the ground also works but this was his method to quickly chain up on the side of the road when the highway dept. instituted chain up requirements at higher altitudes as he was heading to Lake Tahoe or Reno.
I have used his tip ever since and it makes putting chains on so much easier.
Others, please share your tips.

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
333 Posts
I see everyone is getting tractors ready and some are putting on chains. This might be a good time to start a conversation on tips for easy chain installation. After fighting putting chains on my pickup to plow snow in the midwest in my younger days, a seasoned veteran of driving in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Northern California once shared his secret with me. He said to keep a couple short 2x4's handy and stretch the chains out on the ground over the 2x4's. The 2x4s just need to be a little longer than the tires. Drive the tires up over the chains and safely park on top of the 2x4's.
The 2x4's will keep the edges of the tire up off the ground allowing you to stretch the chains evenly around the edges. If by chance you have to put chains on outside in the snow, it also keeps your tire (and gloves) up out of the cold snow!
Using floor jacks to raise the tires off the ground also works but this was his method to quickly chain up on the side of the road when the highway dept. instituted chain up requirements at higher altitudes as he was heading to Lake Tahoe or Reno.
I have used his tip ever since and it makes putting chains on so much easier.
Others, please share your tips.
I usually use the jack method, like with the 430. I just jack up the rear end, put stands underneath it, line up the chains and pick up the front part, drape over the front half of the tire, and then roll it back. Then grab the other half and hook it up. That’s pretty much how I did it on the 430, and also how I do it with tires as big as the 1050’s fluid filled rears (though they are a monster no matter which way you do it!). Hope that makes sense, and I guess the only thing I do differently from a instruction sheet is jack it up lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Calling it a night... tonight replaced front hydraulic connectors, installed rear wheel weights and ran power to cab for lights. Also ran wire to rear of tractor for eventual sander...........getting there
Next is installing switch panel and finish wiring cab, install chains and give it a good cleaning

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
So what's going on the front? Plow? Snowblower?

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
Cool, what all the switch pads for?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Very classy installation and neat wiring job. If your wiring connections are half as good as your wiring runs, you should get years of worry free service. That wood box looks very professional too! Nice work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those of us that have to deal with snow during the winter months, it is about that time of year where you start getting ready. That prompted me get my 332 hooked up to my 49 snow thrower today. Since this is my second season with these units, I have also changed some of the set up items. Since I always hated putting wheel weights on and off, I bought the rear weight bracket and weights, which are much easier for this ol man to install. Also, I went to bar type tires in an effort to minimized the "cat scratches" on the concrete from the turf tires and chains I used last year. I am hoping with the additional weight from the cast rear weights and bar tires I won't need the chains, but time will tell.

Does any one else have photos of their tractor ready for the next snow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those of us that have to deal with snow during the winter months, it is about that time of year where you start getting ready. That prompted me get my 332 hooked up to my 49 snow thrower today. Since this is my second season with these units, I have also changed some of the set up items. Since I always hated putting wheel weights on and off, I bought the rear weight bracket and weights, which are much easier for this ol man to install. Also, I went to bar type tires in an effort to minimized the "cat scratches" on the concrete from the turf tires and chains I used last year. I am hoping with the additional weight from the cast rear weights and bar tires I won't need the chains, but time will tell.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
That is a crazy setup!

·
Registered
4 Posts

You will do fine. I have a 332 with Bar tires, wheel weights and 6 - Suitcase weights on the NLA weight bar. I do have the 2 speed locking diff. and nothing stops it. i am still looking for pictures to send.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts