Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hope this is in the right section, as it doesn't seem very technical , if not please move)

Bought a pair of 322's this summer with the main purpose of cutting grass and moving the snow.

The 1st (running) tractor has a deck and snow blower, so mission accomplished. The 2nd (non-running) tractor was a last minute, same day barn find with a 3 pt arms/link and original rear PTO , so I thought, why not make one very cool tractor out of the two and I could do even more around the property. The idea was either a box blade or rear blade to level the gravel drive....and I just assumed I could find some rear PTO implement to create a new 'job' to do with it ;).

However, when researching options, it seems pretty limited for both:

Rear 3 Pt - Pretty limited Cat 0 options, and when considering weight limits (260 lbs is what I found onlineI read). Haven't found any box blade that is Cat 0 and/or under 500-600#. I did find a Frontier back blade weighing 195#, but most others look very cheap or are built well and a a result too heavy. I did order a Titan rear hitch/weight rack to move trailers around the property, and will use the weight rack when moving snow.

Rear PTO - Not sure what I was expecting, maybe a flair mower or brush hog(?). Really have no need for a rototiller, sweeper or MCS for my place. So far I haven't found anything practical to use for the rear PTO on the 322.

I am considering just getting the 2nd tractor (w/ rear PTO) running and sell it, unless someone can talk me off the cliff. Or maybe I will part it out..

My questions are:
1) Am I missing something or somewhere to search for implements for either the 3 pt (Cat 0) or Rear PTO? (I know many people modify and create their own implements, but I am not looking for an extra hobby, lol).

2) Even though the rear PTO adds a 'cool' factor since it seems to be a rare option, will I do more harm by having it, but never running it regularly?

Thanks for any advice -

Dan

·
Registered
828 Posts
The rear PTO is a specialized attachment you may never use if you don’t want to till or power a MCS or bush hog. Typically there is a demand for them so you could easily sell it.

As for a 3 pt, it’s easy to swap Rockshafts and lift arm brackets from one tractor to another. You could easily move it to your running machine if you haven’t already.

Your weight bracket/tow hitch is a good use for it and probably the most popular 3 pt attachment. Tillers, rear mowers, garden plows, back blades and box blades are probably the next most popular uses. Used Brinly Cat 0 back blades are rare but do pop up for sale periodically. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The uses for a 3pt are endless. Once you have it you’ll wonder how you ever got by without it. I only till with my rear pto. So if you don’t till it may be just a cool factor. eBay pricing right now is 1600$ so it’s worth some change if it’s in perfect shape and you have every piece. I bought one tractor (non running) with a rear pto and the clutch was missing!! So I basically got 1/2 of a pto!!! Live and learn 🤣

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The weight limit for the 3 pt hitch is 640 lbs. I have a weight bracket/trailer hitch, rear blade, rear forks, and a mcs unit with the rear pto. The rear pto and mcs are already being used picking up leaves.
Cat 0 implements are somewhat scarce, I modified my rear blade, it had been a cat 1. Its limited for implements cause of horsepower and weight of the tractor, actually lack of weight. That weight becomes traction to pull a box blade.
Dont be in to much of a hurry to sell what you dont think you need, the rear pto option is tough to find.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I have a 3 point on all three of my 400's and also my 420. I don't recall the exact number for each tractor but they have somewhere between 650 to 750 PSI at the front couplers and will lift about the same weight on the 3 pts. An example is I can pick up a pallet with four 30" x 24" 75 lb patio stones on it using my 3 point forklift (aka Al Z Loadlifter). All 4 tractors will lift it but not by much and none of them will do 5 stones. The weight is all behind the swivel balls on the arms and the load extends back 24" from there. I also have a homemade 4 ft boom and a rear blade that uses a receiver hitch on the 3 point.
Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

I had 250 lbs on the back of my blower 400 the first year before I bought a 3 pt for it. 25 lbs per weight. Note the skin tight chains. Better to have some slack but they worked fine. I had the chains buckled on backwards the first time I used them till Jerry (JDF/Swampfox) pointed it out. He used to run chains plowing snow in Colorado with a JD grader and is very knowledgeable about them. I worked for the County road dept many years ago running graders and plow trucks but never had chains on. Didn't even have any. I was out in some conditions with the grader where I was wishing to God I did.
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire Vehicle

Reactions: DHolb69

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - Lots of great feedback from this group - Thanks!

As for a 3 pt, it’s easy to swap Rockshafts and lift arm brackets from one tractor to another. You could easily move it to your running machine if you haven’t already.
Where are you located?
Planning to move it over this weekend to hook up the hitch attachment. Located in SE Michigan.

Rear load lifter forks and back booms are also useful 3 pt attachments.
I need to look up both us these - Thanks for the ideas..

The weight limit for the 3 pt hitch is 640 lbs. I have a weight bracket/trailer hitch, rear blade, rear forks, and a mcs unit with the rear pto.

Cat 0 implements are somewhat scarce, I modified my rear blade, it had been a cat 1. Its limited for implements cause of horsepower and weight of the tractor, actually lack of weight. That weight becomes traction to pull a box blade.
Great info on the weight limit, but it doesn't match what @army experienced (between 300- 375#)? It seems difficult to find a consistent number posted online for the weight limit. Possibly it is where they measure?

I had the same idea to swap pins form a Cat 1 to Cat 0 , but did not dive into the details yet. And I have my eye on a Land Pride 48" Cat 1 , but it is 320# which seems on the borderline.

Thanks again to all!

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
You will find uses for everything that fits and works on your 322 tractors, and having two is an advantage in itself -- here is a picture of my pair:
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Riding mower Vehicle

Load lifter and pallet forks are very handy. Th only 3-pt I had in the herd was on the x495, but the 322 had a PTO driven hydraulic tiller so it had the lift arms on the ends of the rockshaft. I found a used home-shop made lift for a back blade that used the tiller lift mechanism, and later added a landscape rake to that as well... Here is the tiller lift with a modified sleeve hitch arm.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

the landscape rake I made...
Wood Gas Flooring Machine Auto part

The X495 3-pt with load lifter...
Tire Wheel Riding mower Plant Vehicle

pallet forks in use...yes, there IS a tractor on the other side of these 8 plants being moved...
Plant Plant community Flowerpot Tree Road surface

Chuck

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Heres a link to another post on here. It gives the specs for the 3 pt.

Post #5 has the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heres a link to another post on here. It gives the specs for the 3 pt.

Post #5 has the info.
Thanks - Exactly what I was looking for @Skwirl . Look like the spec is 640# @ 12" rear of the lower hitch balls (don't say if this is at the frame or farthest end of the lower arms), in either case it makes sense that the capacity drops as you move farther out with larger implements or carryall's

Also noticed the importance of front weight - Need to look into a bracket for that as well. No shortage of things to buy for this venture, lol.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a Woods 60" back blade that works well on the Cat 0 hitch. The nice thing about it is that it is configured to be used on either Cat 0 or Cat 1. I can say that it is much more effective behind the 1025, but the 332 does fine with it. I also have a 42" Gannon Earthcavator that is pretty handy in Cat 0 as well.

·
Premium Member
10,060 Posts
The "hitch balls" in this specification is the lower arm ball pivot at frame mounting point, I believe...
Font Rectangle Slope Parallel Pattern

The ball joints on the outside ends of the lower arms would logically be called the 'attachment connection points,' or something similar... Some member with a more definitive knowledge can correct me, as I am always glad to learn on these topics.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's not only front ballast weight, rear also. Wheel weights, fluid in tires helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
A 5 ft rear blade on a 322 is a lot to pull. I have a 332 with wheel weights and fluid filled 26×12 tires and my 5 ft rear blade will stop it in its tracks. I have to spin the blade around and use the rear of it facing forward. It works much better that way. I'm dragging stone back up the drive and filling in a rut. It does the job, just takes a little patience and learning how big a bite you can take.
These little tractors can do quite a bit of work, you just need to learn how to use them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts