Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all; in the middle of rebuilding a late model 49 Snowblower....a few pictures here:
http://cstewart.smugmug.com/gallery/717163

Question for you; the nuts and bolts are in pretty rough shape and I wouldn't want to put back together as is since they would look like junk on the newly painted blower....have you guys painted the original ones or purchased new hardware...if so, where? John Deere or Home Depot?

Thank you!

Chris

·
Banned
400 Posts
Hey Chris, that's what I have to get on before the snow starts flying. Looks good so far. What kind of shape is your auger in? I think I am going to have to do some major repairs on mine or look for a replacement.
On the bolt issue I try to reuse all the old ones that have the "JD" on them. I don't know if there are any of those on the #49. Otherwise I just use ones from my local hardware store.
Richard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Chris - Thanks for the post. Hope you will add to it as you make more progress. I should be doing the same to mine.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

Thank you for writing, I'll post some more pictures including the auger which seems to be in solid shape...there are a few cuts and dents on the edges but I am thinking it doesn't have to be perfect...I'll try to hammer them out but won't worry about it too much.

I stripped it down and am in the process of painting all pieces....just using spray cans; looks great from 10 feet, but not looking for perfection, just want to protect it.

Putting it back together should be fun; I do need to have a few of the original welds updates as there are cracks near the chute....also I will probably install a piece of metal to connect the 3 bolt holes where the deflection shield mounts to the shell as there are cracks out the outside holes...that area must take some abuse?

Thank you again and take care!

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chris,

If the "dents" you are referring to with regard to your auger are actually bent edges, try using two crescent wrenches opened enough to slip over the edge of the auger. One to hold the edge of the auger in place where it is straight, and the other to "re-align" the bent edge of the auger. You can work a bend/dent out pretty quickly and easily this way.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

Richard: I did read that post as well but he used a universal sprocket, not a John Deere part, my driveway isn't that big so I don't think I'll make a mod like that. Sounds neat though, but I'll have my hands full just getting it back together.

Loren: great suggestion; much better then a hammer! I'll try to post some before and after pictures.

Thank you,

Chris

·
Banned
461 Posts
Chris - With regard to bolts and other hardware. Most of the stuff I buy from the Deere dealer is yellow zinc or cadmium plated. This will outlast standard zinc plating that most hardware stores have. Some may opt for stainless hardware, but most versions that you find in hardware stores will not hold up to the rigors of John Deere-dom. Also, some of the bolt lengths on JD hardware are in a 1/4" increment, and many times, you just have a devil of a time finding that in a local hardware store. Just a thought. - Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 42" snowthrower for an LX series tractor. Can anyone tell me what all models this thrower will fit? Just LX series or others as well? Serial # is M03252x246290. Im a little more familiar with the older models- Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Mike from JD parts catalog # 2797 that thrower fits 240 to 355Ds built in 1999 to 2002. That is a bunch of models. GT 235 to GT 245s and all LXs and GXs from 2003 and up. That is assuming the tractor has the right BM number front lift kit on it. Roger

·
Registered
152 Posts
The thrower was originally mounted on an LX178 and I do have the lift kit for that tractor. Its a unit I have at work. We dont have the tractor anymore and im going to post the thrower in the classified section. As always Roger, thanks for the info, you're a huge help!

-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.