Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I paid 10$ for a gallon of sae 30 detergent oil at wally world
@TiredDeere210 From what I've seen on the Wally World web site, ANY non-detergent oil will state "Non Detergent" on the container. If not stated, assume it's a detergent oil. Probably true for all oil where ever you buy it! Bob

Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
So, I was curious as to the detergent - vs - non-detergent oil discussion so I looked up no-detergent oils..

Non-detergents became popular during a time when oil filters were seen only an option and not an industry standard. What do non-detergents do? Well, they act as a magnet for contaminants! They gather all the bad contaminants that damage your engine and prevent them from sticking to the side walls and open cracks.

So, if you DO NOT have an oil filter, non-detergent is the best choice it seems. Very interesting.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Tom, One more characteristic of non-detergent oil is that they do NOT hold the contaminates once oil circulation stops. Whatever is in the oil settles to the bottom of the crankcase and, hopefully, stays there when the engine is restarted. Detergent oils hold the contaminates but they get removed through the filtration process as the oil circulates.

Rule of thumb: If engine has an oil filter, use detergent oil, if engine does not have an oil filter, use non-detergent oil. Bob

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
Thanks Bob. And yes, the article about the non-detergent oil say's you should change oil more frequently. And warm the engine up to help the oil carry the bad stuff away.

Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Kohler K series repair manual says to use a high quality detergent oil. Kohler makes no reference to non-detergent oil for break-in. I go by the procedure I previously posted and use non-detergent for seating the rings.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I was going on the Deere manual.
Font Circle Number Paper product Paper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don’t know why Kohler doesn’t say to use non-detergent. Cub Cadet service manuals say nothing at all about break-in after rebuild. You are going the right route.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
IMHO the 200 series is one of the most beautiful hunks of iron made.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I am jealous of your 214 hydraulic lift.

·
Registered
170 Posts
WOW, I'm so excited to see this! I was 10-11 when my grandfather gave me my 214! If you search my posts here, you'll see when I bought it back in 2015. Never ever sell it!! I'm now 43, I've always had a Deere mowing the grass. I sold mine at 16 to buy a truck, and regretted it that day and everyday until I found it and brought it back to the farm. Your 210 must be a 75 or 76 to have screened side panels. My 214 was a very low production number and it had the screens. But anyway, I'm south of Pittsburgh near Washington, and I get up your way a few times a year, Canton/Akron, right? I may have a snow blade for you, I know I have a spare front lift for it. My brother and I do excavation and farm work, and he builds Super Stock Deutz pulling tractors, we have CNC mill and lathe, plasma cutter, everything you could need. I also have a blasting cabinet and large blaster. If you want to paint it after you get all the bugs out of it, our garage is open to you, free of charge. We can make you a weight box to fit on the back of it to balance out the blade. I have 4-5 200 series here in the back row in parts condition, again all for free to you. At one point I had 7 front blades, I scraped them, I couldn't give them away. I may have kept a few, as I said. Best of luck, let me know if you need help! Randy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That is very generous offer! The 210 is a early 1975 that has been in my family since new. Mines serial number is very close to yours.
Plant Font Rectangle Grass Gas

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Got weights and chains on the 210! Ready for its snowblade soon.
Helmet Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
Yeah, tmac is in Texas, he cares not about snow.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts