Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt my K181 and it sounds noisy to me. Sounds like a growling noise inside. I am not sure if this sounds normal or not. Hopefully someone can tell me if this is normal or what I can check. Thanks.

·
Registered
110, 111
124 Posts
Well perhaps, maybe it could be a bad bearing, or there isn't enough shims on the ends of the camshaft and it's rattling around, but to me, that sounds like a typical Kohler K series. They are known to rattle and shake, it's pretty normal.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that makes me feel better. I installed new bearings and went by the manual and checked all the spec. Cam clearance, crank clearance, valve lift, compression release, ring gaps, cylinder bore, piston diameter. I double checked everything to make sure there were no problems, and that the machine shop did their job correctly. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also does anyone know who could build a steel flywheel? I now have 2 cast ones that are cracked.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder if it would sound better to you with the air cleaner and filter in place? Sounds pretty good to me as is but sometimes we are not hearing what you are exactly. Nice work.

·
Registered
110, 111
124 Posts
I wonder if it would sound better to you with the air cleaner and filter in place? Sounds pretty good to me as is but sometimes we are not hearing what you are exactly. Nice work.
This is a very good point. Without the air filter on, the sound of the engine sucking the air/fuel mix into the combustion chamber is amplified, which may make it sound a lot noisier than it really is. I will say, I envy that setup with the filter mounted above the carb! Would make getting to it on my 110 a lot easier.

As for flywheels, it's probably best to find a good cast iron one. People do build steel flywheels but they are almost exclusively used in tractor pulling applications, and don't have cooling fins. Plus, they are usually a lot heavier than the stock cast iron ones, and are better suited to be used on a billet steel crankshaft (also built exclusively for pulling). Mounting one on a stock crankshaft could put excessive stress on it, possibly wearing out the bearing or in rare cases snapping the crankshaft.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to run it and see what happens. I was set on steel flywheel but now I will be on the hunt for a cast one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts