Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used Replacement 48 deck on my 318. The deck has zerks on each spindle, (my 46" did not). The cavern between the top and bottom bearings on each spindle is quite large - large enough to hold much more than the 2 or 3 shots of grease I give the other fittings.

I am assuming there is some sort of Operators Manual for the deck, but have searched here and on JD's web site, and struck out. Arbitrarily, I have been pushing 3-5 shots (with ease) into each spindle 3x - 4x / year. At this rate, I have not seen (or heard) grease ooozing from top or bottom of the housing.
I don't know if I am doing enough, or doing too much. Is the area between the bearings suppose to be packed (full) of grease, or are 3-5 shots sufficient for the hours? The tractor is living a pretty charmed life, we are on a 1 acre lot, and 1/3rd of that is woods - about 25 hours on the meter / year.
If there is an operators manual for this deck, I would appreciate any assistance in locating it.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
IMO that is plenty. The cavity doesn't need tp be full. If there is a seal, 1 on the top of the top bearing and 1 on the bottom of the bottom you don't want to blow them out. I would call it good.
Tom

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Not to be argumentative but no. The design in the 48 is different. The bearings are not sealed and the grease actually gets pushed through the bearings! Brilliant design. So pump till it comes out the relief holes! 👍🏻
If thats the case you are right. Mine had a seal on the top and bottom and it was a fairly new deck that came with a tractor I bought, so it depends on what bearings are in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts