Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refurbished my seized up alternator and changed out the belt only to run into a snag. I have all of my manuals, but I cannot figure out how to put on the fan/drive belt. I realize that I must have to remove the drive train to slip the belt over. However, I do not want to go wrenching on anything. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yes Jeremy you must remove the drive shaft to change the fan belt. You may be able to remove the three bolts on the engine and loosen the clamp bolts on the trans then slid the shaft back enough to get the belt in.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just replaced mine in a 332 while I had the radiator out for cleaning. It was easy at that point, but I'm sure it can be replaced by removing the rubber isolator between the drive shaft and engine from underneath the tractor. If the 330 and 332 are the same, it should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 445 tractor has started to become somewhat temperamental. When I put the key in the tractor to start it, I typically have to jiggle it a bit to get the instrument panel lights to come on and to get the fuel pump engaged. Sometimes, I have to jiggle the key several times to get the lights and fuel pump to engage properly. When I turn the key to the start position to get the starter to engage, the tractor will start, but when I let off the key, it dies. I have to perform this ritual a few times to finally get the tractor to run properly. It seems that the ignition contacts may need cleaning. Is this even possible or might there be another cause to this issue and how might I fix it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
This happened to my 425 and I replaced the PTO switch. Problem solved.

Alan

·
Registered
58 Posts
In looking up the replacement part, it looks like the ignition switch replacement requires the replacement of the key switch and a circuit board/module and is doesn't look like the key switch can be easily separated from the module. Does anyone know if this assumption is accurate?

As for the PTO switch, mine is working fine. It really seems isolated to the key switch (contacts issue).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. I ran the tractor today and everything worked fine. When I have a few extra moments, I'll try to spray some electrical cleaner in the switch area to try to wash out the contacts and see if that cures my issue before replacing the switch assembly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My PTO switch was working too at the time when I replaced it. Power is routed through the PTO switch at startup so if the PTO is on, the tractor won't start. A safety feature if you will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DJ If you can carefully drill a hole (the size of the straw on an aerosol can of electronic contact cleaner) in the side of the switch. Flush the switch out. Let dry for a few minutes. If that does not help, new switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.