Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,
That 1978 JD 316 with a kohler engine still dead. No sound when turn the key to start. New battery and starter switch. Anyway lot of people helped on the last post I had and John Deere said to try the starter Solenoid replacement. Best guess it is under the battery tray. Does anyone have have a step by step process or video to and wire layout, in the step by step or video.

Thank you for your help
Lew

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is power getting to solenoid when you turn the key? Big job to pull starter. Make sure ground from battery to engine is good as well. Clean connections are important.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is power getting to solenoid when you turn the key? Big job to pull starter. Make sure ground from battery to engine is good as well. Clean connections are important.
There is relative new starter in there. The Neg ground cable goes to the top of the engine block. The only difference was the last time it ran, was I had it painted. But it was not stripped down. Seat pan removed, 2 side panels up front and hood. He did not put the tail lights back in poor shape. No cut wires. So I replaced the started switch. No change. From what I can see on top all wires appear to be connected.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
You are talking about 316 w/Onan engine pulling starter is a big job. This is the one year built 316K (K for Kohler engine). Two bolts and power lead to starter can be disconnected and starter removed in a couple of minutes.

I think you mean starter solenoid. It is not a part of the starter. It is a separate component bolted to the underside of the battery tray. I doubt very much you have an issue with the solenoid unless it is not surface grounded. See the ground wire on key B. There is not a ground wire here but the solenoid needs to be mounted on a clean bare surface. You can add a ground wire by add wire to underside of mounting bolt to contacting the solenoid case and run the wire to a frame ground.
Font Sharing Auto part Gas Parallel

Did you see the private message (PM) I sent you. Now called a conversation. Click the three dots on right side of your avatar then click on conversation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the starter solenoid, not the starter. The starter is newer on this unit when I bought it. I just purchased a generic Starter solenoid from John Deere yesterday. Only 20.00 bucks. Just wanted a example or video of someone replacing one which I will do this weekend. Plus the wiring layout.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
SM-2104 tech manual for closed frame 3XX tractors has great electrical section with diagrams. Read the PM I sent you.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Again I say. Read that private message I sent you.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
@cutter-man, it is not a wise practice to post private information on the forum. That is why I moved to private message site.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
three dots beside your avatar right side of the black banner at top of page. Click the 3 dots. Menu will drop down. Click on conversation.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,489 Posts
If the starter switch as been recently replaced you may want to verify you have the correct one since there are so many that look the same yet function differently.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
If the new switch mates with the wiring harness I don't think that would be the problem. He really needs a multimeter or test light. Start testing at the switch then walk down the line unless you lose the 12V signal. Fix that then continue on till the tractor starts. Most of the time I find the problem with the connector to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the starter switch as been recently replaced you may want to verify you have the correct one since there are so many that look the same yet function differently.
Purchased from John Deere, local store to me. They looked up year and model, and gave me according to them the correct switch for the year of my john deere 316 with a kohler.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Multi meter and testing will save you some money before throwing parts at it. Thoroughly checking voltage and resistance at connections may save buying parts.

Reactions: stevev
1 - 20 of 22 Posts